What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MP Senor Erratic and Reading High - GRT

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I tried updating an earlier thread on this issue that I had started but for some reason the update didn’t appear to bring the earlier thread up for current discussion. Therefore I’m starting a new thread.

Here’s the issue. Last fall I was having trouble with high EGT readings and posted several times about the issue including a picture at altitude of my CHT readings. Several VAF folks commented from the picture that it appeared my MP reading was too high for the other engine parameters. To make a long story short, I eventually rebaffeled my engine which brought the CHT readings down to where they were desired and then tackled the MP issue.

After several emails with GRT I sent my old MP sensor in for evaluation and repair. GRT notified me it needed to be replaced so I purchased a new one, installed it and entered the new OFF/SF settings into my EIS. Test flew it and started experiencing significant erratic MP readings and what appeared to me to be high MP readings. Based upon several VAF suggestions I then made several attempts to install a restrictor in the MP line finally getting down to a .04 size restrictor. I even put tension spring clamps on the MP hose where it attaches to the sensor and restrictor to ensure a tight fitting. Flew yesterday and again experienced erratic MP readings throughout the flight and what I believe to be high MP readings.

Takeoff role (1,450’ elevation; 30.29 alt setting; 55* F; CAVU and light wind) MP = 30.8; RPM = 2670. Climbout set 25/25 and MP readings jumped about, same with cruise. I’m at a loss in trying to figure this out. I’m beginning to think my new sensor is worse than the old one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DR - why wouldn’t an update to an older thread I posted reactivate that thread?

I tried updating an earlier thread on this issue that I had started but for some reason the update didn’t appear to bring the earlier thread up for current discussion. Therefore I’m starting a new thread.

Here’s the issue. Last fall I was having trouble with high EGT readings and posted several times about the issue including a picture at altitude of my CHT readings. Several VAF folks commented from the picture that it appeared my MP reading was too high for the other engine parameters. To make a long story short, I eventually rebaffeled my engine which brought the CHT readings down to where they were desired and then tackled the MP issue.

After several emails with GRT I sent my old MP sensor in for evaluation and repair. GRT notified me it needed to be replaced so I purchased a new one, installed it and entered the new OFF/SF settings into my EIS. Test flew it and started experiencing significant erratic MP readings and what appeared to me to be high MP readings. Based upon several VAF suggestions I then made several attempts to install a restrictor in the MP line finally getting down to a .04 size restrictor. I even put tension spring clamps on the MP hose where it attaches to the sensor and restrictor to ensure a tight fitting. Flew yesterday and again experienced erratic MP readings throughout the flight and what I believe to be high MP readings.

Takeoff role (1,450’ elevation; 30.29 alt setting; 55* F; CAVU and light wind) MP = 30.8; RPM = 2670. Climbout set 25/25 and MP readings jumped about, same with cruise. I’m at a loss in trying to figure this out. I’m beginning to think my new sensor is worse than the old one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DR - why wouldn’t an update to an older thread I posted reactivate that thread?
I posted a reply to your other thread this morning. Is that gone now?

Back