What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matagorda State Park

tsandberg

Anyone know if the airfield at Matagorda State Park in Texas is open? That looks like an excellent destination for some aircraft camping if it is.

Cheers,
Tyler

Not to my knowledge

Tyler,

The park and/or fish and wildlife service has always kept that pretty well closed up, but you might give them a call and see if things have changed. There is also a private strip on the Matagorda Penninsula that we used to fly to from Houston (many years back) - it was merely marked as a closed set of runways (WW II training reliever). It was great - you could land, park, and walk over the dunes to a beach with no one on it. Unfortunately, rumors started spreading about folks being met by black helicopters and guys with DEA jackets :cool: , and having their airplanes disassembled - that pretty much killed the tourist trade!

However, I recently saw it listed as a private strip, and I recall that there was a house or two near the old ramp. Maybe someone can find out who owns it - wouldn't it be great if they were RV-friendly?

Remember, You just don't want to be a trespasser in Texas.... :eek:

Paul

Matagorda

I cannot tell you if it's legal or not, but the UL folks use it quite often. Don't ask how I know. It might be like flying about the old abandoned blimp base in Matagorda. It's amazing what you find out when you start studying for your license.
G.P.

Thanks for the intel! I just moved to San Antonio from Wyoming and I'm looking for some good outdoor activity areas. It would be a bonus if they were places that I could fly into. This place looks perfect in terms of seclusion and a change of terrain for me. I have to say, this weekend cold weather down here is rather welcoming...It's like Texas cooled down just so I wouldn't be so shocked coming from up north. :)

Thanks again for the info!

Tyler

Tyler,

Take a trip to Fredericksburg TX and stay at the Hangar Hotel right on the field.

Your wife/girlfriend will love the shopping and some teriffic places to eat both Tex/Mex and German.

Back