What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marking Round Gauges

Geeman

Well Known Member
Any suggestions for marking min max (green arc) on gauge like the oil pressure. Would like a professional look....not just some tape. Thanks.

Take/send it to an instrument overhaul shop, and have them do it. That way the markings will be on the instrument face, and not on the glass.

My $0.02

When I purchased a new airspeed indicator for my Midget Mustang from UMA, I had them add markings to the dial. I think it was an extra $30 or so for all the standard markings.

I, too, would like to add markings to some of my other gauges. I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on trying Precision Dial in Michigan. Their website is www.precisiondial.com.

I'm hoping they'll be able to add custom markings to a few of my Westach gauges as well as my UMA tach.

Let us know what you think of them if you wind up giving it a try.

Ditto on having an instrument shop do it. Several years ago when I needed a new airspeed gauge for my Cherokee, I bought it from The Gyro House in Sacramento, CA and they made the color markings so well it was indistinguishable from a factory new instrument from Piper.

Last edited:
Did my own.

I did my own using sign vinyl.

I marked the arc on the vinyl with a compass and cut it with an exacto knife. Removed the glass and placed the markings on the face of the instrument.

Turned out not too bad.

90498036.jpg

Removing instrument glass on Airspeed

I did my own using sign vinyl. I marked the arc on the vinyl with a compass and cut it with an exacto knife. Removed the glass and placed the markings on the face of the instrument.:eek:

Not a big deal for an oil pressure gauge, but neither aircraft owners nor A&P's are authorized to open up flight instruments. You can legally place marking on the outside of the glass but only an authorized repair station can open up a flight instrument (if you want a legal instrument).

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing instrument glass on Airspeed

(if you want a legal instrument).

If you open the glass does it make the instrument experimental, which would match any other non-TSOd equipment which we install on an RV?

If you open the glass does it make the instrument experimental, which would match any other non-TSOd equipment which we install on an RV?

It doesn't just make it non-TSO'd. As far as the FAA is concerned it makes it a paperweight.

However, a repair station could make it legal again.

Just to add to what Rick said. If you do not get a good seal on the ASI glass, it will compromise your entire static system.

When I first built my -6, we had a difficult time finding a leak in the static system. Took the airplane to another guy who said he knew where the leak was. And this guy had done nothing but look at the instrument panel. He said,"You have an Aeromarine ASI. They almost always leak."
To prove it he told me to wipe a little grease around the edge of the glass. As soon as I did, the leak went away.

Needless to say, I still use that guy for my transponder certs.

If I can legally put an automotive instrument in my plane why wouldn't I be able to remove and replace the glass on an aircraft instrument?

There's never a shortage of people making up new rules when it comes to aviation. Until I see it in writing AND in writing that the rule quoted actually applies to experimentals, I'll disregard.

Keep in mind I'm not arguing against doing a good job---just the claim that it's not legal to do it yourself.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with Mel that by opening up the case and removing the glass we may induce a leak, however since we maintain an experimental aircraft that does not have to meet the requirements of 14 CFR Part 23 we can open the case. If we had to use TSOd parts we would not be able to put foriegn made flight instruments (non-TSOd) in our aircraft which can be purchased through Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, etc.. Where there is an exception is whenever the component transmits on any controlled frequency, such as a transponder or Comm radio. This is why we all built a homebuilt aircraft so if we want to put automotive spark plugs, alternators, or instruments in our project we can.

I was even told by my local FAA FSDO that we do not even maintain our AB aircraft in accordance with 14 CFR Part 43, except for appendix E & F and that is only for accuracy of the pitot static system (app E only if we fly IFR). We maintain them IAW the Operating Limitations that are part of the C of A.

Last edited:
I was even told by my local FAA FSDO that we do not even maintain our AB aircraft in accordance with 14 CFR Part 43, except for appendix E & F and that is only for accuracy of the pitot static system (app E only if we fly IFR). We maintain them IAW the Operating Limitations that are part of the C of A.

Don't believe everything your local FSDO tells you, according to one FAA person at a local FSDO experimentals aren't allowed to fly in controlled airspace!!!!

When the annual condition inspection is done, Part 43 App D is still applicable.

It doesn't just make it non-TSO'd. As far as the FAA is concerned it makes it a paperweight.

However, a repair station could make it legal again.

Good thing it's only a back-up :eek:

My friend is a licensed avionics tech in a licensed shop. He liked all the non- certified EFIS and EMS stuff I put in the plane (which many of us here have), but said they couldn't use any of it in the certified world.

Before I use the gauge as a "paperweight" I'll get his professional opinion and have it checked if need be, but I'm pretty sure with the care I took doing it, it's probably Okay.

When the annual condition inspection is done, Part 43 App D is still applicable.

The Condional inspection is not part of Part 43, we are only told in the Operational Limitations to do the Conditional inspection in the 'Scope and Detail' of App D. If you look through Part 43 I don't believe you will find any discussion about a 'Conditional' inspection. We do the Conditional inspection annually, however it is not an Annual as what is called out in Part 43.

NOTE: My intention with this discussion is to both learn and educate with everyones input, so I hope that no one takes anything that I have said as the gospel.

Last edited:
Back