What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mackinac Island Trip

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
My wife and I flew up to Mackinac Island yesterday. Perfect winds - light and no chop. I would recommend the trip to anyone in the area. We left KTEW (Mason MI) at about 8:30 and were there about 10:00.

Mackinac Island is a no cars place with just bikes or horses to get around. Lots of horse$_it on the roads but as people like to say, "quaint". We have a couple Zizzo folding bikes and they fit with a little work in the back of my 9A. They worked great and we had a good time riding around the island.

The town has many restaurants and shops - think fudge and candy. The Grand Hotel is worth checking out and has some interesting history as does the island itself.

We road back up the hill to the airport and left about 2:30 getting back to our airport about 4:00. All in all it was a very nice day and we had a good time.

Here is a short video of the takeoff and flying along side the Mackinac Bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDH6jn_v0AY

Attachments

• bikes.jpeg
    bikes.jpeg
    937.4 KB · Views: 168
  • MCD2.jpg
    MCD2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 142
  • docks.jpg
    docks.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 125
  • houses.jpeg
    houses.jpeg
    953 KB · Views: 127
  • ferry boat.jpg
    ferry boat.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 124
  • grand.jpeg
    grand.jpeg
    883.8 KB · Views: 161
  • arch.jpeg
    arch.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
Thanks for the pics. I’ve been there several times, but only flew in there once, more than 50 years ago (before I was married). I showed these pics to my wife. We’ve never stayed at the Grand Hotel, but always wanted to. She said “what are we waiting for?” Next summer……. $600+ per night, but that’s probably what I’ll spend on a avgas to get there and back from Cinci next summer. It will be worth it.

BTW, for some who may not be familiar, - MACKINAC (island/City/bridge) - is pronounced: MAK’-a-naw (French). The only “ACK” in that area is the fort - Fort Michilimackinac (MAK-a-nak).

That part of the country is beautiful.

Thanks for the pics. I’ve been there several times, but only flew in there once, more than 50 years ago (before I was married). I showed these pics to my wife. We’ve never stayed at the Grand Hotel, but always wanted to. She said “what are we waiting for?” Next summer……. $600+ per night, but that’s probably what I’ll spend on a avgas to get there and back from Cinci next summer. It will be worth it.

BTW, for some who may not be familiar, - MACKINAC (island/City/bridge) - is pronounced: MAK’-a-naw (French). The only “ACK” in that area is the fort - Fort Michilimackinac (MAK-a-nak).

That part of the country is beautiful.

The Grand Hotel offers well discounted off season rates,,,,or at least they did a few years ago.

Grand and Zizzo Folding Bikes

We didnt stop at the Grand other than for a picture. Later this fall we are going to go back. There are good restaurants and I do not fly at night so we will have to stay overnight and I think we will try the Grand out.

It is a cool place to fly into and it is pretty and worth a trip. There are bikes you can use at the airport or you can take a horse drawn taxi into town to rent better bikes.

We really like our Zizzo folding bikes. The weigh about 23 lbs each and with a little work you can fit 2 behind the seats in a 9. There is still room for a canopy cover and a couple duffle bags for an overnight trip. I like the 20" wheels better than the Brompton 16" but the Bromptons do fold a bit smaller and are a couple pounds lighter. But we can buy 3 Zizzo's for the cost of one Brompton!

I would love to see a picture on how you got those bikes in. Did you have to disassemble them at all? Do you have the Super tracks mod?

I would love to see a picture on how you got those bikes in. Did you have to disassemble them at all? Do you have the Super tracks mod?

I have a 9 tip up. I do not have high back seats but I do have to lean them forward. If I am putting one bike in I can leave it fully assembled - just folded as designed. When I put 2 in, I take the seats off and most of the time just one of the front wheels off. It is easier if both front wheels come off and that is how I did it on my return flight.

The model I have - the Urbano does not have a quick release wheel so I need a wrench which I carry anyway. The Urbano has a slightly wider tire so it works well on dirt roads than the Liberte. The Liberte is a pound less and has quick release so if you are doing most riding on roads, it is probably a better choice. We use our bikes at home all the time so we wanted the bigger wheels.

Next time I put them in the plane I will take a video. I do put a moving blanket on the wing or the canopy cover to protect it as I climb up the step.
It helps if you have a second person to load and unload but not necessary.

The bike has a different feel in that you are more upright but we got used to it quickly. For the price, it is hard to go wrong with them. PM me if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• bike1.jpeg
    bike1.jpeg
    961 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for the picture and explanation. We do have 2 Liberte bikes and we love them. I have a 10 now and formally a 7A. I may be going back to a 9 in the future and was thinking I would have to get rid of the bikes. Never thought you could get 2 Zizzos back there.

Lots of Restaurants

The Grand has several top end restaurants within. In addition, they own/manage a very nice venue called The Woods within walking distance of the airport. Check out their web site - pricey but good.

Also, the airport is open year round as in mid-winter, it’s the only way to reach the 500+ permanent residents. Ferry service ends when the ice starts to form across the straits and snow mobile travel from the Island to St.Ignace is possible after the ice is thick enough (usually after Christmas) and then till melt.

I’d recommend a mid-winter flight as well. You can still get a horse drawn carriage/sleigh from the airport to town. Most hotels and restaurants will be closed (you can get a meal at one of the few bars open) but it’s fun to walk the quiet streets. You will however encounter snowmobiles.

I usually radio the airport about 40 miles out in order to shorten my wait time for a ride.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks Terry for the info. We plan to go back in October for the changing colors but winter could be fun too.

Back