What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lyc. O-320 A2C

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
Anybody have any experience with this A2C model? I can pick one up with 1500 hrs on it. I know this goes back to the "cheap isn't always cheap thing" but I'm interrested in finding out more...

Could be a deal...

This engine came in:

Varga, Kachina 2150A
Robinson R-22
Cicare Cicare AG (French?)

It's a 150HP, 7.00:1 Compression at 2,700RPM, fixed pitch (only) and it can be converted to a 160HP (I think) with out changing the cylinders. (If it came out of a R22 it could be tired, chopper engines work hard.)

The biggest negative or at least the thing I would consider the biggest draw back is it is a conical mount (I think). Research comical mounts Vs. Dyna focal. Dyna is far superior in every way. The down side of conical is more vibration and more engine sag, especially with plan old engine mount bushings. LORD engine mounts makes a Dynafocal style "puck" isolators that fits in the conical mount. They help a lot, but cost $65-$75 each (Like dynafocal). I consider LORD to be the best you can get in engine mounts of any kind BTW. However with that said if I was on a budget and the price was right (free) I would consider it.

ECI can convert the case to Dyna focal during rebuild and the cost is not terrible, but it adds up on top of a rebuild. Contact ECI, the price info is on their web site (I recall about $800?) but the engine must be torn down, with associated cost.

I am in no way trying to talk you out of it, but I am telling you all the down sides. As you said good deals are not always good deals. On the other hand at almost $20,000.00 for a new engine, price does matter. Bottom line a conical mounted 150HP with a Sensenich prop in a clean light RV really flys. Many people must have the latest, greatest, best and biggest, but this could be a deal. Now if they want several thousand dollars and it needs a rebuild, it could end up costing well over $10,000, plus purchase price, to bring it up to speed and that is if every thing is OK on the innards. By the time you add purchase, rebuild, modification (mount/160HP if you want) you may only be a few LARGE Bills less than new?

If it is a working engine to use as is you could just buy it and use it for a while and when you have more cash install a better engine (180hp?). A real cheap way to fly, assuming the price is right and the engine is really in good health and airworthy as it. The down side to that is a new engine mount (dynafocal) cost the better part of $1000, if you change engines later.

Good luck George

Last edited:
Dave,

Which airplane are you building?

I'm putting an O-290-D2 in my -9 and expect decent performance (175 mph cruise.)

If you are building a -4, -6, -7, or -8 it could be a good engine, if you keep things light. Actually that goes for the -9 as well.

For the price you can add a lot of other goodies or just keep the cost and price down.

My 290 didn't come with mags so I'm going to use the Emag/Pmag electronic ignition and try to get a little bit more power from this engine.

Which brings up another issue, see what the cost of the accessories are. I had to add a different accessory case to my engine so I could drive a fuel pump, buy a carb, mag's, etc. All that adds up.

The Varga George mentions is a low wing so I suspect this engine has a fuel pump already.

Other than that, I wouldn't shy away from a conical mount as there are thousands of planes flying with them.

Bill

Also has the rear most mounted carb location on the sump. Not the location typically used on most of the 320's. Is that a problem with a nose dragger or a problem with you installation?
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Hmmm, I think the rear mounted carb would be a problem in my -7. The guy selling it wanted a few thousand for it. When he finally sent me pics it looked pretty rough and looking at the logs...it was in service in Guatemalla. I think I'll pass on this one. I'll be keeping my eyes out for a good used engine though. If I'm still looking when I get to the FWF portion...Wentworth is only a couple hrs down the road....

Thanks for the advice fellas...

Back