What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LS3 conversion

Rbender12

I'm New Here
Hello all. I’m in beginning stages of my 10 build. I am considering a LS3 conversion instead of the 540 does anyone have any experience with that package? Good bad or indifferent
Thanks Rich

Why?

You'll get a lot of opinions and some won't be very encouraging.
Since you asked for all opinions I'll give you mine.
Ask yourself if you want to tinker or fly?
Are you a well educated gear head with a thorough understanding of automotive conversions, especially when it comes to reduction gear issues?
Do you have lots of money, time and good insurance to undertake such an endeavor? Are you willing to build a plane that is nearly worthless to a buyer when it comes time to sell?
Are you willing to spend an extra 2 years or so to complete an installation with an LS3 engine conversion?
The landscape is littered with wrecks and dead pilots who held on to their beliefs that automotive conversions work in airplanes. Some do of course and chalk up impressive numbers and flight hours but in the long run, no one beats an IO-540 all things considered.
As someone who almost couldn't be talked out of installing an automotive engine in my RV-8, I cannot tell you how greatful I am to those who did manage to persuade me to install an IO 360.
You asked for it and you got it.
I hope other will contribute to either encourage or discourage you.

I don’t recall all the details, but one of our chapter members sheared a gear in the gear reduction unit causing a total loss of power on take off. He was able to make the impossible turn and make it back to the airport but not a smooth landing on a runway. No thanks…

The engine isn’t the problem (other than weight) it’s all the supporting systems and PSRU. Start reading about torsional vibration and it will become very clear that they are extremely difficult to make reliable.

You'll get a lot of opinions and some won't be very encouraging.
Since you asked for all opinions I'll give you mine.
Ask yourself if you want to tinker or fly?
Are you a well educated gear head with a thorough understanding of automotive conversions, especially when it comes to reduction gear issues?
Do you have lots of money, time and good insurance to undertake such an endeavor? Are you willing to build a plane that is nearly worthless to a buyer when it comes time to sell?
Are you willing to spend an extra 2 years or so to complete an installation with an LS3 engine conversion?
The landscape is littered with wrecks and dead pilots who held on to their beliefs that automotive conversions work in airplanes. Some do of course and chalk up impressive numbers and flight hours but in the long run, no one beats an IO-540 all things considered.
As someone who almost couldn't be talked out of installing an automotive engine in my RV-8, I cannot tell you how greatful I am to those who did manage to persuade me to install an IO 360.
You asked for it and you got it.
I hope other will contribute to either encourage or discourage you.

Pretty much nailed it with the above....

The engine isn’t the problem (other than weight) it’s all the supporting systems and PSRU. Start reading about torsional vibration and it will become very clear that they are extremely difficult to make reliable.

It does take specialized career skills, instrumentation and money. One can hire engine consulting companies like Ricardo, AVL, SwRI to do the work but it is in the arena of engine and installation development and tough to do on one's own, even with the knowledge. Not to mention the accompanying knowledge to design gears that last. These are not black arts, but not something one can quickly pickup, or get in forums and magazines.

I spent much of my career in the world of engine design, testing, development and applications. This is a daunting task to do well. I thoroughly enjoyed learning the processes and fixing all the issues (nothing is perfect). I had thousands of engineers within a phone call or 10 minute walk/drive to call on and learn from.

If you want something a cut above, consider the IO580 lycoming. It has the 390 bore/stroke and more than 300 hp. It would get excellent fuel burn (MPG) leaned at cruising at normal RV10 speeds (fast). It would fit, have warranty, be reliable, and special. Probably the same end cost as a LS3 conversion, and pretty cool.

If you do choose the LS3, then manage your expectations and employ the very best technical (experienced) people to help. Use proven components if at all possible.

Have fun with what ever avenue you take.

Last edited:
…….(snip)….If you want something a cut above, consider the IO580 lycoming. It has the 390 bore/stroke and more than 300 hp. It would get excellent fuel burn (MPG) leaned at cruising at normal RV10 speeds (fast). It would fit, have warranty, be reliable, and special. Probably the same end cost as a LS3 conversion, and pretty cool……

I’ve never seen this engine (Lycoming 580) fitted into a 10 and have often wondered why? I know it’s a little heavier than the 540, but couldn’t that be manageable? It would certainly be a beast.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen this engine fitted into a 10 and have often wondered why? I know it’s a little heavier than the 540, but couldn’t that be manageable? It would certainly be a beast.

There have been several -10s with LS engines fitted. To my knowledge, every one has suffered a major incident.

Rich- The engine itself is reliable if properly fueled, ignited and cooled- I have multiple customers flying them successfully in other airframes.

The gearbox is the big sticking point and nobody has proven their PSRU designs over multiple examples and thousands of hours of trouble free flight time yet.

The engines with gearbox are really too heavy for a -10, will require tail ballast for sure.

If you are not an ME or experienced professional engine/ gearhead guy, my advice is to install the Lycoming. This comes from someone who's actually flown an auto conversion for 20 years and been involved with hundreds of auto conversions through my EFI business for over 25 years.

November 2021 issue of Sport Aviation has a good article on Jack Sowalsky's Chevy powered Stallion. It seems to work pretty well. See page 50.

Mitch G.

RV12

Last edited:
Hello all. I’m in beginning stages of my 10 build. I am considering a LS3 conversion instead of the 540 does anyone have any experience with that package? Good bad or indifferent
Thanks Rich

Here’s a link to a YouTube video of an LS motor that a guy has in a 7A. He’s not the builder, but he may be a resource to reach out to and get more information on the overall package.
https://youtu.be/YrZoPhC3TF8

I am not impressed

It seems to work pretty well.
That's the part that bothers me, "pretty well is just not good enough for airplanes".

The fellow in the video reminds me a lot of someone who found his demise in a Subaru powered RV-10 as well as another RV-10 pilot who was luckier and walked away after his Chevy powered RV-10 exploded upon landing.

I see unbridled enthusiasm and very little engineering know how. A lot of unresolved issues, propeller, cooler intakes ect, ect.
Entertaining videography and editing skills I must say but that is where it ends.
I can't imagine the empty weight of that RV-7A with an LS1 including AC.
I am well aware of our experimental privileges and I do engage in it myself.
Let's hope this young fellow will be around to tell us how well his RV-7A flies with that LS1 combination.

Back