What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord Engine Mount PIREPS? (RV-10)

DavidP2020

Well Known Member
I see posts here from several years ago about Lord engine mounts. I'll be installing in the next few months and wondering if there are new PIREPs for either.

Vans RV-10 FWF kit currently has "EA DYNA VI I(O)-540 BARRY" for $140 per pair.

I see Lord Elastomeric Engine Mounts "J-3804-28" for $394 per pair at Spruce.

Is the installation more difficult than the standard Barry mounts?

Opinions on whether the upcharge is worth it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What would the benefit be of using the Lord mounts instead of the stock Barry mounts that would make it worth the extra money?

Thanks,
Zach

What would the benefit be of using the Lord mounts instead of the stock Barry mounts that would make it worth the extra money?

Thanks,
Zach

Good question. Some people in the past have reported less vibration with Lord. Also, longevity could be different. That’s why I asked; I’m looking for feedback either way to see if the cost is justified.

I don’t have an opinion. My kit came with Lord mounts. They’ve been doing their job well for over ten years. I don’t have any experience with Barry mounts.

I have either the barry or VIP mounts on the 10. Unsure, but think the latter. 350 hours and no sagging or vibration issues. The Lords on my 6 are sagging pretty bad at 1100 hours. There is a trade off here. softer rubber dampens more vibration but doesn't last as long. If I were to guess, I would say the Lords are softer.

Bob L - Thanks for the feedback. Good to know yours are lasting.

LR172 - That's good info too. Makes sense.

I'm still gathering info. Thanks to both of you.

My info is not conclusive by any means but here is my experience.
I had Barry on my RV7A and had vibration and did a dynamic prop balancing which improved it.
I installed Lord mount on my previous 14 and it was super smooth. I tried prop balancing by he could not touch it as it was .013 and my current 14 which also has Lord mount is even smoother.

My 7A was showing some sagging of the engine and my current 14 shows about the same amount of sagging though it has less hours. My last 14 shows hardly any sagging.

I have the Barry mounts on my -10. A dozen years but just 300 hours later (I don’t know what’s most important here, calendar time or flight time) there’s no signs of sagging or excessive vibration.

Over the years and across many models I have found the Lord mounts to be smoother. However, the price right now seems absolutely ridiculous.

Vic

Over the years and across many models I have found the Lord mounts to be smoother. However, the price right now seems absolutely ridiculous.

Vic

Vic,

Some have said that the Lords mounts are softer and do better with the vibration, but that that may also lead to shorter life. Do you have any experience or thoughts on this?

I've reached out to Lord for longevity info, but haven't been able to reach them yet.

Back