What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

looking for Light speed 3G ear pads

jrm7997

Hello All

At Oshkosh I asked the people of Light Speed if they were going to get any new foam ear pads for the older 3G headset (blue ones). She said it was a funny situation as they get asked for them a lot. But, no they are not.

I've been doing some research and can probable get them out of Australia or ..... maybe Germany? But I was hoping someone here had found an aftermarket set that fit well. Maybe a link to them?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Hummm

Hummm 5 years ago? I guess you'll be wanting this info too?

I think mine are closer to 6 or 7 years old but they are pretty rough.

3G

I bought two pairs on Amazon last year. Out of stock now.
Bummer. Hate to scrap a perfectly good headset next time they get ratty.

Another track

From another VAF thread I found a contact for a headset repair shop. He has contacted me and suggested that Bose covers will work. I’m going to call home tomorrow and I’ll let you know.

I just got off the phone

As I said earlier someone had mentioned

KC Headsets
18011 South State Rt 291
Pleasant Hill MO 64080
816-835-4575 [email protected]

I sent him an email and he replied with a phone number. When I called Terry explained how he uses Bose ear seals and what you need to do to replace them. Basically, remove the LS mounting plate and glue or DBLE side tape (the method originally used to put them on) the Bose seals on.

His price was reasonable and I appreciate the advice so I ordered the new seals ($25) from him.

Done.

I've received and put on the Bose leather seals. Terry from KC was nice enough to explain to me how he has been using Bose seals, since Light Speeds are no longer available, to update the LS G3 headsets

I'm going to describe what I did but here is a link to pictures for those of you that learn better by seeing :)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/81n1n0qf7apjy2xqu3yrl/h?dl=0&rlkey=me8idx0pset4l4snec6pb34yo

The seals and their backing plate are easy enough to get out. Just put two finger in the bottom, be carful not to damage the thin black inner foam (stuff with the yellow backing) and pull outward. I tried to pry on the bottom where there appears to be a place for just that but pulling worked better.

After tearing the old ear seal off the blue backing plate i used my finger to push the old two sided tape off. I tried isopropyl alcohol but it was messy and rubbing with my finger only took a minute or two. I did clean the last bit of glue residue off with a cloth and alcohol.

Terry uses contact cement and I expect i will be doing so latter but i wanted to try the less messy more forgiving two sided tape. You only get one chance with contact cement. Once the tape was ready I was able to put the seal into place and pull off and replace if it didn't fit where I wanted it too. The seals are a different shape and a little smaller than the lightspeed originals. You can see this in the pictures if you look carefully. I'm expecting the double sided tape to release if it gets too hot or maybe even if its poor quality. Well see.

Replacing the seals back onto the ear cups was a simple as pushing the top part in then pressing on the bottom and snap. Done.

The final thing I did was to open the headset fairly wide and put them over a box. Two sided tape usually takes a day to get to its full strength. I'm going to leave it like this over night and well see.

Last edited:
Back