What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Larger fuel tanks, HR2 style

PropMan

Well Known Member
Has anyone built HR2 or 3 fuel tanks for their 4?
I'm considering the 42 or 47 gallon options and am curious what others have done. Thanks

What I recall others did..

I built my -4 long ago with the standard 32 gal tanks, and I recall some -4 builders were using -6 tanks which added a bit more fuel ( I think 1 more rib bay). My trips to OSH made me want more than 32 gal, but my seat time comfort is about 3 hrs max, so 32 is fine for me.

As Bill states, I know of RV-4 wings that were under construction but used the RV-6 fuel tanks for more fuel.

I have traveled with a friend that had an RV-4 180 HP Fuel Injected and Constant Speed prop. Flying cross country at the same speed, the RV-4 burned one gallon less fuel per hour than I did with my 160 HP Constant Speed RV-6.

The guy with that RV-4 had concerns about flying 3-hour legs that I had planned. After flying them, he had all the fuel he needed as long as he was using an economy cruise power setting and was leaning. Our cruise speed was 150 KTAS.

Well, I ordered the Harmon parts for 42-45 gallons of fuel. Each tank gets new 55" skin and tank back(rough dim). I'll drill an trim the existing leading edge skin and move the w408 rib outward. There are a few places where 3/8 bar stock gets attached to the spar. I'll document with notes an pics.

Hey Frank. You will also need to add an extra rib to each tank for added support. Hopefully Van's has them and can ship them.

Hey Frank. You will also need to add an extra rib to each tank for added support. Hopefully Van's has them and can ship them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I ordered 2 T404a-R and L ribs from Van's. And they are on backorder. It'll be several months before I get to it, so hopefully parts will be here by then.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and process explained. I've wanted slightly larger tanks in my -4 as well.

Back