What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kids booster seat RV-8

Robin8er

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi everyone. I'm looking for ideas for a booster seat for a 3 year old in an RV-8. My son loves flying with dad, but unfortunately even with a booster seat on top of the rear seat he doesn't sit high enough to see out the windows. The RV-8 isn't short people friendly in the back seat.

I'm thinking of constructing a box of some sort that screws to the floor ribs and I can bolt a car seat to. My concern is that if I just stack foam under the existing seat that it will be problematic if I have any sort of hard braking or deceleration. Just looking for ideas and curious if anyone else has done anything similar.

I will eagerly watch this thread. I am nearing the completion of an -8, but wondering about putting a small child in the back seat. Once strapped in and airborne, aren't they pretty much inaccessable? Seems like a bad place for a 3 year old, but eager to learn from others.

Booster seat

I have used the following booster seat for my sons since they were young.

Evenflo AMP High Back Car Seat Booster, Blue Angles (Bought it on Amazon at a reasonable price).

The back is detachable if you want that way, but the notches in the back/headrest works well in the 8 with the seatbelts.

I remove the rear stick so that there is no interference - and I found the height to be reasonable for 4/5 yr old. (While taxiing the viz is still limited - but once in the air they could see reasonably).

Last edited:
Backseat visibility issue

I recently looked at an -8 of a guy's in Arkansas that had a modification under the rear seat. The previous owner, I believe, had built an aluminum box, approximately 3-4 inches in height and roughly the same size as the seat base. This box was attached to the floor with piano hinges if I remember correctly. I don't have any pics of it unfortunately. The seat base then velcroed to this box. It was very easy to take in and out depending on height of the passenger. I guess the owner's wife was pretty short and this allowed her to have much better visibility over rail.

You can purchase a extra large car seat cover for trucks seat, stack the foam sheets and cover them with the seat cover. The seat cover has straps that will hold the foam sheets place so that the entire stack moves a one. This is basically what I did with my DIY RV seat

You can attach velcro to the seat stack so it will adhere to the floor.

Or, since you have a toddler, you can build an elevated sub-floor box and mount it to the floor with piano hinge. You can then mount the baby car seat on top of it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may try to get a seat like what airzen posted.if anyone else has more ideas please share!

Hi,
my son turns 3 in a few months and he desperately wants to fly with daddy. I bought a child seat which a friend of mine successfully used with his 4yr old.
See Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpg
    IMG_3663.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3662.jpg
    IMG_3662.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 59
My wife is on the shorter side (4'10") and so I built a 4 inch thick booster to put under the seat cushion. Just made it the same shape as the cushion. Rivited it together out of aluminum. Gave it a hinged top with some stiffeners, can use it as storage to keep weight out of the back (my -8A gets aft CG with passengers).

She has only sat on it a few times (doesn't like small airplanes) but it seems to be holding up fine.

Can't find a picture of it, it is at the airport and I'm home and on call all week. Did find my plans:

riser.png

Dashed lines are the fold points.

Back