What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JPI EDM 830 Compatibility With EFIS

SydneyACE

My TruTrak EFIS died on me, and I'm thinking about using it as an excuse to upgrade to either a G3X or an HDX. I have a few questions about engine monitoring compatibility. I have tried doing some searches, but haven't really found the answers.

I have an EDM 830, and I like it. I would really like to keep it in the panel and also use the EFIS to monitor engine parameters as well. Is there any "passthrough" capability to the engine monitor modules from either Garmin or Dynon... or from the EDM 830 itself? (Can I send data from one set of engine sensors to both the EFIS's engine monitor module AND the EDM 830?)

From what I have been able to decipher from my own research, this doesn't seem like a possibility... but I am hoping someone knows for sure.

So, would I really be stuck with having to choose to see my engine data from ONLY one or the other? Or, is there a simple way to share the info?

If I want engine data on both, am I stuck running TWO sets of every engine sensor? (This seems completely impractical.)

Is it maybe possible to just split the wires for the sensors and send one to each?

EIS Sensor Compatibility

My TruTrak EFIS died on me, and I'm thinking about using it as an excuse to upgrade to either a G3X or an HDX. I have a few questions about engine monitoring compatibility. I have tried doing some searches, but haven't really found the answers.

I have an EDM 830, and I like it. I would really like to keep it in the panel and also use the EFIS to monitor engine parameters as well. Is there any "passthrough" capability to the engine monitor modules from either Garmin or Dynon... or from the EDM 830 itself? (Can I send data from one set of engine sensors to both the EFIS's engine monitor module AND the EDM 830?)

From what I have been able to decipher from my own research, this doesn't seem like a possibility... but I am hoping someone knows for sure.

So, would I really be stuck with having to choose to see my engine data from ONLY one or the other? Or, is there a simple way to share the info?

If I want engine data on both, am I stuck running TWO sets of every engine sensor? (This seems completely impractical.)

Is it maybe possible to just split the wires for the sensors and send one to each?

Good Evening,

I can only comment from the perspective of a G3X Touch system. Many of the sensors you have installed could likely be reassigned to the connector of the EIS interface box for the G3X Touch, although not in parallel as proposed. You would be using the G3X Touch exclusively for EIS information. You can cross reference the sensors you currently have installed in your aircraft with page 21-1 of the G3X Touch Installation manual to determine compatibility and see what can be repurposed.

Unfortunately there is no serial datastream that can be consumed by the G3X Touch to provide the system with EIS information. You will need to connect the sensors directly to the EFIS.

Please let us know if any other questions come up along the way. You can always email us at [email protected] as well if you prefer.

Thanks,

Justin

Back