What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It’s Dan’s fault

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
That’s right. It’s Dan’s fault. He has made me look at protecting cables and pad hoses against heat failure. And I want to say thank you.

The throttle and mixture cables have some shielding from the mounting bracket but for a little added insurance I added a stainless shield between the bracket and exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.png
    IMG_1544.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 414
I installed heat shielding as shown in the attachment and 300 hrs in it's working as expected.

Attachments

• IMG_8949 (2).jpeg
    IMG_8949 (2).jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 312
I installed heat shielding as shown in the attachment and 300 hrs in it's working as expected.

It would be interesting to get a measurement, but the reflective/insulated sleeve Marty used here is very likely superior to the typical metal "heat shield". Not so sure what it does to pipe temperature. Alternate is to shield the victim rather than the source.

This is the current cable protection on my own airplane. Aluminum backed with fiberfrax and aluminum tape. Webb, if you add the fiberfrax and tape, you'll have a much better shield. Remember, a plain metal shield re-radiates from the "cool" side.

Yes, that is reflective tape on the sump.

Cable Heat Shield Jan 2022 (1).jpg

Attachments

• Cable Heat Shield Jan 2022.jpg
    Cable Heat Shield Jan 2022.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I read that thread too and started panicking over my own fuel line routing, which was clamped via an adel clamp to my heater muff. I rutzed it around a little and secured it a little higher up. It now runs close to, but does not physically touch, my heater muff. Better but not the best I could do. Maybe in the future I will get a shorter hose and run it far from heat sources.

I read that thread too and started panicking over my own fuel line routing, which was clamped via an adel clamp to my heater muff. I rutzed it around a little and secured it a little higher up. It now runs close to, but does not physically touch, my heater muff. Better but not the best I could do. Maybe in the future I will get a shorter hose and run it far from heat sources.

Ryan my friend, perhaps the future is now.

Ryan my friend, perhaps the future is now.
Dan's comment stuck with me for a while, and I decided I could not argue against the proposition "if it can be done better, it should be." So I manned up and finally routed my fuel hose a better way. I moved the fitting from the bottom of the servo to the top (plugging the bottom one), shortened the hose (thanks, Tom), and routed the hose far away from any significant heat source:

Before:

After:

Gives me some peace of mind, and I am hoping I can close the book on my fuel system finally.

Dan's comment stuck with me for a while, and I decided I could not argue against the proposition "if it can be done better, it should be." So I manned up and finally routed my fuel hose a better way. I moved the fitting from the bottom of the servo to the top (plugging the bottom one), shortened the hose (thanks, Tom), and routed the hose far away from any significant heat source:

Before:

After:

Gives me some peace of mind, and I am hoping I can close the book on my fuel system finally.
Um..........is that a power cable resting on your fuel line..? 😳 You might want to stand that off a little. Does look MUCH better!!

Visited your photo page. You did a great job with the divider hose. Got a plan for the supply hose?

I've installed a thermistor rooughly a fat thumb's width from a headpipe. Might be a bit, but I'll post actual temperature. I think folks will be shocked.

IMG_4112-4K.jpg

Visited your photo page. You did a great job with the divider hose. Got a plan for the supply hose?

I've installed a thermistor rooughly a fat thumb's width from a headpipe. Might be a bit, but I'll post actual temperature. I think folks will be shocked.
Already addressed that one, too. While I was in there, I shortened that supply hose, too (well, Tom did) and it is no longer running close to the exhaust heat source.

I have a vertical mount Bendix FI servo with a Vetterman Cross Over Exhaust like the installation in the photo below. The fuel line is routed from the servo to the spider between the oil pan and the exhaust. I wish I had measurements but I think I had about 3/4" clearance from the exhaust. That fuel line route is most direct and normally penetrates the inner cylinder baffle between Cly 1&3. When I get to the point of plumbing my fuel lines, I thought I'd us an alternative route that is less direct.

What have others done? What is the consensus? Avoid that routing?
Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 9.29.21 PM.png

Previously mentioned installing a thermistor a fat thumb's width from an exhaust pipe, under the engine, on the bottom of the throttle and mixture cable shielding. Results are interesting. Temperature hit 200F before I could get oil temp up to my customary 100F for takeoff. Top of climb was 255F and it stayed there for the next 30 minutes while I ran some other tests. After landing and hot taxi, lack of airflow ran it all the way up to 300F.

Best I know, pipe temperature at this downstream location is lower than typical for a headpipe closer to the cylinder. I'll move it around to measure some other locations.

I have a vertical mount Bendix FI servo with a Vetterman Cross Over Exhaust like the installation in the photo below. The fuel line is routed from the servo to the spider between the oil pan and the exhaust. I wish I had measurements but I think I had about 3/4" clearance from the exhaust. That fuel line route is most direct and normally penetrates the inner cylinder baffle between Cly 1&3. When I get to the point of plumbing my fuel lines, I thought I'd us an alternative route that is less direct.

What have others done? What is the consensus? Avoid that routing?
View attachment 60153
WEll---there are 2 'sump indententions' in the foreward side where the hose can lay in ( better to have a smaller OD hose like teflon than the 303 that you have, but you can make it work). Definately heat shield the exhaust in that area. Another reason for teflon---is the higher temp rating of the liner vs. the rubber liner of the 303 hose. So a more compact assembly, yields more clearance, and higher heat rating.

Back