What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 replacement needed

Mike R

I'm New Here
I’ve been flying my RV7 for 20 years with a IO360A1B6 engine. Last week while at 8500’ a cylinder split midway down the bore pushing valve cover out 1”. It kept running losing 3 quarts of oil, running on 3 cylinders. I made normal landing at my 2nd home airport on the Oregon coast. Now the delima, have it rebuilt,a 6 month down time or buy a new engine. Engine has 1440 hrs on a lycoming reman. Question, what are risks with ordering a Vans engine during chapter 11?

I’ve been flying my RV7 for 20 years with a IO360A1B6 engine. Last week while at 8500’ a cylinder split midway down the bore pushing valve cover out 1”. It kept running losing 3 quarts of oil, running on 3 cylinders. I made normal landing at my 2nd home airport on the Oregon coast. Now the delima, have it rebuilt,a 6 month down time or buy a new engine. Engine has 1440 hrs on a lycoming reman. Question, what are risks with ordering a Vans engine during chapter 11?
An issue is that the posted lead time for Lycoming engines is 18+ months and a risk is that the upper limit is unknown, so you might be waiting for e.g. 2 years, as others have.

Wow. flying with a Lycoming remanufacture engine with low hours was good a good thing! Split the case open, send the case to Divco and Crankshaft out for re-certification and
buy you some new bearing and cylinders and go fly. Grin.

+1. Fix what’s broke and fly on.
Also, isn’t a Van’s engine a 1 time deal? Is the offer good after 20 years?

Last edited:
isn’t a Van’s engine a 1 time deal? Is the offer good after 20 years?
My RV-4 was built with a used engine, and I was under the (wrong?) impression that so long as you haven't yet ordered an engine for that particular plane, you are eligible to order one. It worked this way for a propeller order when getting a C/S installed.

The initial question was related to chapter 11, and as I gleaned from the latest video any customer deposits are held separately from any other operating cash so as to be protected. So I don't believe there to be a risk from this point of view.

If this were my plane, I'd limit to fix what's broken unless the initial teardown found other reasons to consider a new engine.

First of all, congratulations to you on keeping your head and getting it on the ground in one piece!

As far as your dilemma, I don't think it's a hard choice. A lot has changed in 20 years, and where supply chain is concerned, it hasn't changed for the better.

Even at the lower discounted rate, a new YIO360A1B6 through Van's is north of $50k. Considering that along with the 18+ month lead time others have mentioned and it seems logical to stick with the one you've got and as long as the overhaul bill is less than $50k call it a win.

Ya right. They say 18 months, But wait that is a long time for sure. Rebuild and move on. Cause the 18 months may be longer

My luck varies FIXIT

Back