What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR glass cockpit

NCGAPilot

I'm in the planning stage of my build, and right now I'm trying to make a list of the things I want in my RV. One of them is what I want in the panel. Now I have two routes I can go. I can go with the standard steam panel, with digital engine minitor and an IFR radio stack. Or I could replace the steam gauges with glass gauges. However, I'm not sure how to make a glass cockpit IFR legal. I've heard that you have to have an attitude, pitch, and altitude indicator back up for this to be legal. I don't know how I'm going to do this on the limited space of an RV-8A panel. So, I guess what I am asking is what's the best way to solve the problem of an IFR glass cockpit?

Many, Many Options!

Greetings!

You are at a fun stage - getting to define your cockpit! There are many ways to build what you want, and I could write a lot of pages telling you all the details (but George will do that... :p ) - but alas, I'd be late for a simulator sessionthis morning... Suffice to say that when I priced a GRT EFIS driven by a GNS 430, versus a Steam Gauge with HSI panel (driven by a GNS 430), the cost came out as a wash. You can see my cockpit if you search the forums for "Ironflight", and that will show you that you most certainly CAN fit a useful IFR panel into an RV-8...

Good luck, and have fun!

Paul

Requirements

I'm never 100% sure about anything, but I think the altimeter must be TSO'd with no such requirements on the other 5 required flight instruments. Let me know what you decide. I'm having the same dilema.

Tom Costanza
7A Wings

tomcostanza said:
I'm never 100% sure about anything, but I think the altimeter must be TSO'd with no such requirements on the other 5 required flight instruments. Let me know what you decide. I'm having the same dilema.

Tom Costanza
7A Wings

Eh I'm leaning towards steam guages with a Garmin audio panel, GNS 430, Kings Com/Nav 2, and Garmin Transponder. With a digital engine monitor from Vans. Mainly because I like to keep things simple. Things are already complicated with me wanting an IFR panel. I'm a simple guy, and the simplier the better.

tomcostanza said:

Tom Costanza
7A Wings

There is no requirement for any TSO instruments in an experimental with one exception. For IFR enroute and approach GPS use, the GPS must be able to peform and meet TSO-C129a requirements. If a WAAS GPS, it must be able to perform and meet TSO-C145a/TSO-C146a requirements. Beyond that anything goes.

As for your second radio, I would *stay far away* from the King stuff. Do yourself a favor and look at the SL-30 from Garmin. It has some amazing features (oh, btw, the built in intercomm is *not* one of them).

EFIS are getting simple...

NCGAPilot said:
Eh I'm leaning towards steam guages with a Garmin audio panel, GNS 430, Kings Com/Nav 2, and Garmin Transponder. With a digital engine monitor from Vans. Mainly because I like to keep things simple. Things are already complicated with me wanting an IFR panel. I'm a simple guy, and the simplier the better.

Just one note that might keep you looking...EFIS systems are really getting very simple from an installation standpoint. All of the boxes talk on serial data lines, and if you're installing a GNS 430, transponder, etc, you'll be doing those anyway. Meanwhile, you get rid of vacumn pumps and lines....

Go with what you're comfortable with, but you might be surprised by how easy these systems can be!

Paul

Ironflight said:
Just one note that might keep you looking...EFIS systems are really getting very simple from an installation standpoint. All of the boxes talk on serial data lines, and if you're installing a GNS 430, transponder, etc, you'll be doing those anyway. Meanwhile, you get rid of vacumn pumps and lines....

Go with what you're comfortable with, but you might be surprised by how easy these systems can be!

Paul

Hmm, who's EFIS system would you recommend? Another goal of mine is to keep the panel clutter to a minnimum.

Who's EFIS?

I'm completely unbiased .... :p

I actually refuse to make recomendations to intelligent folks - I figure that the best can do is share my experience and help folks to ask good questions. My only experience with homebuilt EFIS systems (I have used some very advanced certified and aerospace systems) is with what I own - the GRT system - and I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with it's easy installation, capability, design, and philosophy. It is a reliable technology supported by people who are commited to maintaining that reliability (even at the expense of flash and glitz). My world revolves around reliable flight systems, and I am very satisfied with what I bought.

However - your requirements might be different! List what you are looking for - not just in features, but in an overall sense, to include cost, reliability, factory support, upgradeability, etc...and then compare the available products. And throw steam gauges in there as well! Don't worry about someone else's choice - you're goal is to come up with what is right for you!

Oh...for my money, GRT rocks! :D

Paul

First and foremost, I need an IFR panel. I guess what I'm looking for is a system that takes up the least amount of panel space, a display system that has my route shown on the attitude indicator (that way I don't have to keep on looking down to the GPS to see where I'm at. I also plan on installing an Autopilot from
TruTrak Flight System, Sorcerer. Traffic detection and weather are optional.

don't forget the electric rudder trim installation. It will make IFR flying a whole lot easier, i assume. much easier to do at the early stage.

Told you so...

There is no requirement for any TSO instruments in an experimental with one exception

Right you are! I was referring to an article on EAA's website.
"Equipping a Homebuilt for IFR Operations"

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/faq/Equipping a Homebuilt for IFR operations.html

The requirements for altitude reporting equipment associated with the transponder are called out in 91.217(c), which states that, the altimeters and digitizers must meet the standards of TSO-C10b and TSO-C88, respectively. TSO-C10b applies to the sensitive altimeter itself, and TSO-C88 applies to the automatic altitude reporting equipment. Again the equipment is required to meet the standards of the applicable TSO?s, but not necessarily be produced under a TSO authorization. But as with the transponder, the easiest way for a builder to meet this requirement is to install equipment manufactured under a TSO authorization.

This is why I'm never 100% sure of anything.

So it seems that although we are required to have a sensitive altimeter, it doesn't need to be TSO'd, or accurate...or working. ;)

Tom Costanza
7A Wings

mark manda said:
don't forget the electric rudder trim installation. It will make IFR flying a whole lot easier, i assume. much easier to do at the early stage.

Yea, that and the electric stabilizers trim too.

Back