What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iFlyGPS vs Avare

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
I was waiting for the usual 4 extra months discount on subscription renewal at Sun'n'Fun.
Apparently not this year. Just a 10% discount (of off $95 -- up from $70 a few years ago).

I've done all of two cross country trips (actually each < 100 miles) last six months.

Wondering if really worthwhile to renew my iFly VFR subscription or if I should switch to Avare.

Finn

I like Ifly, price is just consistent with everything else related to politics that we cannot mention here.

Reactions: CD.
I've been using Avare for almost as long as it has existed. Love it. I run it on my tablet, and also on my phone, for back up. My tablet and phone talk to my uAvionix ADSB, so I get weather and traffic, and that all works great. I'm sure iFly is great as well, but Avare is free. I send them some money every year for their efforts; a personal decision.

Another Avare user, for a long time now.
Download the free data sets into it and go.
Traffic works great with my Stratux.
I've got no complaints.

However I still do primarily fly with paper IFR approach plates. That's just me not wanting to depend on some tablet device for that.
But for VFR charts, it's my go-to and has been used for multiple long cross-country flights.

I was waiting for the usual 4 extra months discount on subscription renewal at Sun'n'Fun.
Apparently not this year. Just a 10% discount (of off $95 -- up from $70 a few years ago).

I've done all of two cross country trips (actually each < 100 miles) last six months.

Wondering if really worthwhile to renew my iFly VFR subscription or if I should switch to Avare.

Finn
I use ifly for the last 6 years. It works well and the buttons/ menus are well laid out. It is updated regularly. I’m a vfr flyer. I don’t think the price is excessive to keep the company in business but then I send money to vans air force also.
Wilson

Reactions: CD.
Another Avare user, for a long time now.
Download the free data sets into it and go.
Traffic works great with my Stratux.
I've got no complaints.

However I still do primarily fly with paper IFR approach plates. That's just me not wanting to depend on some tablet device for that.
But for VFR charts, it's my go-to and has been used for multiple long cross-country flights.
The IFR charts are there to download and you dont need that goofy ipad cellular service for the geo plane to show on the charts, it shows just by turning the gps on on the tablet and is accurate, use it all the time for taxiing, spot on

The IFR charts are there to download and you dont need that goofy ipad cellular service for the geo plane to show on the charts, it shows just by turning the gps on on the tablet and is accurate, use it all the time for taxiing, spot on
I know the IFR approach charts are there. I just choose to still use paper.
Maybe because in my career in software I've seen the 'blue screen of death' too many times. I just picture having the tablet crash 2 miles from the airport on an approach and no paper backup. Not that I've ever had it happen with Avare. But I've heard of many iPad users having the iPad spontaneously shut down from overheating.

I have used Avare since it first came out and subscribed to iFlyGPS for a year. Now I just use Avare on a 7" Samsung tablet as it does everything I need. GPS and ADSB in come from a Crew Dog stratux ADSB in box. Just a couple of suggestions for Avare is how the maps and METARS display. Sometimes only 3/4 of the map displays on the screen and I have to move the point of reference to get map to show on the whole screen. The METARS show on the screen as colored blobs not always over the airport.

I used Avare with my Stratux for a couple years, and even kept in on my tablets after I subscribed to iFly. But now I use iFly EFB only. iFly has so many more features and is easily customizable. It has the AHRS screen so you can do 'highwway in the sky', you can share flight plans between devices, winds aloft, airport info with wind data, vector map with terrain, just so many more features, etc,etc,etc... I reckon you get what you pay for. Avare worked great, iFly just works better for me.

Back