What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to shape the form for fiberglass ?

When I think about how much clay and shaping I did to make our fairing, I can't help but call your solution Brilliant Larry! I want to see the finished result.

Paul

I don't know anything about anything, but danged if this doesn't look like a GREAT idea/method.

Polytac removal

Ron B,

On my preliminary test, the polytac peeled clean and easy with an "orthogonal" peel. Yet in shear, when shrinking and tensioning the polyester, it was amazingly stabil. IF you have a corner such as the intersection of VS and HS's, you lift as much as possible and squirt some MEK in the crack. Surface tension wicks it in and VOILA, the part pops off. Good luck...Larry

Cross section:

hv7x4p.jpg

Cross section:

hv7x4p.jpg

Dan, doesn't the curve of the front bulkhead make the rest of the fabric have a similar curve? Essentially ending up with a vertical slice of a "dunces hat".

It seems that way in the pictures.

The edges along the fin and stab. will have sharper corners though.

Cross section...

Dan, I think that this is one of those things were 2D analysis does not do the topic justice, especially when non-orthogonal (bias) fiber orientations are at play.

A good example of the technique is when Dick Johnson used bias Ceconite to smooth out the pod-to-boom transition on the PIK-20 sailplane when he was doing performance testing. It didn't add any performance, but it looked great, especially considering the minimal effort expended.

Don't read too much into the observation. The technique is interesting and useful, but won't allow a tangent intersection with the tail skins. That's all.

Heck, I've been known to flesh out shapes with tape...whatever works.

2vjrhhl.jpg

Last edited:
Back