What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to save postings

MarvinL

I'm New Here
Occasionally I have tried to save tips contained in the postings. My computer saves them in Word but will not thereafter permit them to be opened in plain English. What an I doing wrong?

Putting your trust in a computer??

You can print from the forum page, then put into a notebook for later reference.

Mike

Saving tips

MarvinL said:
Occasionally I have tried to save tips contained in the postings. My computer saves them in Word but will not thereafter permit them to be opened in plain English. What an I doing wrong?
The problem you're having is because the forums are HTML, but I believe you only want the text.
The easiest way is to highlight the text you want and do a copy (CTRL-C), then open up the document - new or existing - where you want it to go and put your cursor where you want it and do a paste (CTRL-V). Your target document can be any word processor, text editor, spreadsheet, ....

I use a program called SurfSaver (http://www.surfSaver.com). When you install it, it puts a button on iExplorer's toolbar. You click the button and it opens up a panel from which you can save any web page exactly as you see it on the screen. You can also tell it to save (any number of levels deep) from any links on the page. It saves in a proprietary format (I think), but has some search capability. $19.95 with a 30 day free trial.

Hope this helps.

Others have posted ways that work. I have been know to File > Save As.. an HTML file but my favorite way is to PRINT the Page to a PDF document. I have Acrobat Pro on my computer and it prints to a PDF document just like it would if you printed to paper. You can purchase Shareware that is much cheaper than Acrobat Pro to print to PDF files. Just Google "Print to PDF" to get some possible solutions.

CUTE PDF

RV6_flyer said:
Others have posted ways that work. I have been know to File > Save As.. an HTML file but my favorite way is to PRINT the Page to a PDF document. I have Acrobat Pro on my computer and it prints to a PDF document just like it would if you printed to paper. You can purchase Shareware that is much cheaper than Acrobat Pro to print to PDF files. Just Google "Print to PDF" to get some possible solutions.

Yes, creating a pdf file is an easy solution. CUTE PDF is free. Google the name CUTE PDF and follow the instructions.

DGlaeser said:
The problem you're having is because the forums are HTML, but I believe you only want the text.
The easiest way is to highlight the text you want and do a copy (CTRL-C), then open up the document - new or existing - where you want it to go and put your cursor where you want it and do a paste (CTRL-V). Your target document can be any word processor, text editor, spreadsheet, ....

This is the method I use then drop it in a word document. I usually just copy the one post [or posts] that have info I want to save BUT...

have learned the hard way to also go to the tool bar and copy and paste the thread address in the same document too because some time later there'll be new posts I'll want when I want this info or I'll read the posts I've saved and wonder in what context were they shared.

Makes [re]finding the thread a no-brainer :)

ymmv

John

With Firefox

I'm using Firefox, and there is a nice extension called Scrapbook. This extension allows you to store the whole page you're looking at. There are even some editing capabilities : add notes, colors...
Pascal

MarvinL said:

Get a Mac... :)

Thanks for the help guys and gals. I also discovered by accident that a posting can be saved to the Desktop. It installs two icons, one a folder containing the names of all the advertisers that appeared on the page, and the other an exployer icon which contains the actual postings.
I tried deleting the one containing the advertisers but that also deleted the other. At some point the desktop may become a trifle cluttered.

Back