What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with spark plug selection.

Fugitive

I'm New Here
New to me RV6 with o-320-e2a. One Bendix mag and one ElectroAir DIS-1 electronic ignition. The documentation with the ElectroAir says to run two heat ranges colder and open gap to .030-.035. Lycoming Service instruction 1042AH lists three plugs approved for o-320-e2a:
REM40E
REM38E
REM37BY

I was thinking of ordering 4 REM40E's and 4 REM38E's but wanted to check with people more knowledgeable about the subject.

And does opening the gap on a massive electrode aircraft plug to .030-.035 sound right and how do you do it without damaging anything?

Thanks.

Opening gap should be done carefully, easy to break things, can’t use anything as a lever with the tool shared above.

Whats plugs were in when you flew it home? Why not just get new ones if it flew ok, motor humming etc. Just an idea…

The top plugs were rem37by’s which are run off the EI. The bottoms (powered by Bendix mag) are so corroded that I can’t make out any part numbers. It ran ok, but had a bit of roughness.

REM38E is a colder plug than a REM40E.
Your engine produces low hp and normaly uses REM40E.
The REM37BY are used when there is problem with lead fouling.
ElectroAir DIS-1 electronic ignition delivers more elctric energy to the spark plugs and was advertised having a "hotter spark".
A cold plug transfers heat rapidly away from its firing end into the cooling system and is used to avoid core nose heat saturation where combustion chamber or cylinder head temperatures are relatively high.
I think that the power produced does not in it self require colder plugs.

Good luck

The Extended Electrode of the BY plug should lend itself to opening the gap easier. That’s what I ran on my O320 with a Ted Rose ElectroAir and yes, open the gap as recommended. Sounds like your engine was set up properly and unless there is a compelling reason to change I would stick with what you have. Not sure I would change the heat rating from top to bottom.
Cheers

I run NGK BR9ES (1 heat range colder than for a stock engine) with my dual P-Mags, runs great, and no problem just throwing them away and replacing at annual, the bushings can be ordered from Brad at Emagair.
DAR Gary

Back