What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Space in South Florida?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I have a potential opportunity to move to Boca Raton. Will I be able to find a hangar for my plane? If so, what will it cost me?

Yikes. What do people do with their planes while they wait 10 years for a spot? That’s terrible news…

Yikes. What do people do with their planes while they wait 10 years for a spot? That’s terrible news…
Tie down or move inland. Some airports won't even take your name on the wait list because the wait lists are too big. They've also started to increase the cost to be on the wait list to weed out people that were just getting on it without a real intent on getting a hangar.
Some snowbirds have also stopped bringing their airplanes down because they don't want to keep it outside.

You could always build a hangar... but when we tried that, we had to do a road impact study, agree to plant a certain number of trees, ... the requirements were insane.

East coast of Florida will be expensive if you can even find a spot. Different here on the Gulf coast.
I'm at KIMM, $360/month, empty hangars.

I have a potential opportunity to move to Boca Raton. Will I be able to find a hangar for my plane? If so, what will it cost me?

BCT is not the optimal place to base your plane in SE Florida. Cross wind runway [ 5 / 23] Very expensive. Since they put a control tower in, it's gone to the jets. Jet A crowd has driven prices to the moon. No open area around the airport for an emergency landing, other than the green space between north and south bound I-95.

Suggest you check out PMP and LNA. Both are much more light plane friendly. Both have "some" open space for emergency landings.

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming. I had no idea south Florida was so limited on hangar space.

South Florida is limited on every kind of space. Just about every postage stamp size property is developed. Elbow to elbow...

They always say that and they are full of it. I personally know of three empty hangars. If you said you are "thinking" about moving they are just trying to dissuade you. A lot of seasonal renters that they are sick of. Also tons of people on the list that have no intention of ever actually renting. They just threw a couple of people out that were using hangars as storage space. If you don't have a registered, insured airplane they won't rent out a hangar. I don't think they take anyone seriously until they rent a tie down first. I'm actually at the airport every day working on my SX-300.
It is quite a drive from Boca, though. 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back