What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar build

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I started building my hangar this past summer. 50’x38’ cement slab, 15’ from floor to ceiling. Plans are to sheath and metal roof and sides, as well as insulate and metal ceiling and interior. Plans for a mezzanine and deck, as well as a bedroom for visitors.

Door opening is 38’x12’ and I’ll be going a sliding door route for now. I have a 2200’ grass strip at CRA3 and cleared 2 acres of trees for parking. Will eventually have fly ins every 2nd weekend in September.

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_5292.jpg
    IMG_5292.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5977.jpg
    IMG_5977.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 171
  • da43a28f-3b90-4da2-898b-1f9b10cf9117.jpeg
    da43a28f-3b90-4da2-898b-1f9b10cf9117.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_6413.jpg
    IMG_6413.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 345
Nice hangar! I'm thinking about building a similar structure.

Did you purchase or build the rafters? What are the dimensions of your wall studs, 6"x13", 6"x14", etc? Could you share your plans?

Costing

The curb is an 8” block filled with concrete. Walls are 2x6x14 studs. Plans call for 16” spacing, however. I put 12” spacing on the support walls. Total height with the top plates floor to ceiling is 14’11”.

The trusses are 52’ wide with the foot over hang. Factory made. 24” spacing. OSB sheathing for the walls and roof and then metal.

38’ door opening as there will also be a Champ in the hangar.

I have the trusses and engineered building plans on pdf if someone wants them as a reference. PM your email.

Glad to have you Vlad! Short hop for you and the food is always free at the flyin!

Here is where it’s at. A few miles south east of CFB Trenton.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TRJBJ7GBCH5vgf1J6

Don

Last edited:
How is your strip for approaches, are they clear or is it treed? Hard to tell from pics. Hangar looks quite close to the strip, though trees on the border look closer. I hope the strip is wide in case anybody ground loops! :eek:

My grass strip is about the same length, at 650m. The width is 15m plus buffer of 5m each side and this is enough, though the surrounds are cropped area so not the end of the world if somebody goes off. The approaches are clear at one end and 150m to trees at the other end. It takes about an hour to mow the turf with a commercial JD rider mower.

We have had a Cessna go into the trees at another local strip when the pilot mis-judged the cross-wind! I'm careful about who is invited to land at mine.

The curb is an 8” block filled with concrete. Walls are 2x6x14 studs. Plans call for 16” spacing, however. I put 12” spacing on the support walls. Total height with the top plates floor to ceiling is 14’11”.

The trusses are 52’ wide with the foot over hang. Factory made. 24” spacing. OSB sheathing for the walls and roof and then metal.

38’ door opening as there will also be a Champ in the hangar.

I have the trusses and engineered building plans on pdf if someone wants them as a reference. PM your email.

Glad to have you Vlad! Short hop for you and the food is always free at the flyin!

Here is where it’s at. A few miles south east of CFB Trenton.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TRJBJ7GBCH5vgf1J6

Don

Nice spot and very nice area. I flew into NT7 or CPU6, and CYTR when it was IFR weekly for many years. It was in a MU-2 and an Aerostar. Almost got there this summer in the RV but the weather did not cooperate.

Hey

Hey Paul,

There were trees on the north end of the runway….cleared 2 acres…no issue now…straight in from the north and the south end has no obstacles as well…just a swamp.

The runway is 70’ wide. I will remove trees on either side, (have a dozer there)but if you ground loop here, you’re going to do damage. I rolled the dice for a few years as I couldn’t get insurance, now I do. It’s PPR, so I’m selective on who comes in.

I have a JD mower zero turn. About 2 hours. Most northern end has an upgrade and will be marked.

Cheers,

Don

How is your strip for approaches, are they clear or is it treed? Hard to tell from pics. Hangar looks quite close to the strip, though trees on the border look closer. I hope the strip is wide in case anybody ground loops! :eek:

My grass strip is about the same length, at 650m. The width is 15m plus buffer of 5m each side and this is enough, though the surrounds are cropped area so not the end of the world if somebody goes off. The approaches are clear at one end and 150m to trees at the other end. It takes about an hour to mow the turf with a commercial JD rider mower.

We have had a Cessna go into the trees at another local strip when the pilot mis-judged the cross-wind! I'm careful about who is invited to land at mine.

Don, what is the purpose of the block curb? Something to do with life in the land of snow?

Hey Don, In picture #4, I see a house. In picture #5, it's not there.

Did you take a break in building the hangar and build a house?

Snow!

Get a fair bit of snow and I wanted to try to keep the wetness away from the walls. The front of the hangar has a gentle slop, so water will drain away.

Don

Don, what is the purpose of the block curb? Something to do with life in the land of snow?

It’s there!

Hey Mel,

To to the left of the picture in #5, you see the path to the house.

In the aerial map, you see the house north of the concrete pad.

Not living on site yet…3 yrs away. House will probably be torn down and a new build going up.

The hangar door opening faces west. House to the north.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EAYCTJTcGqvdsekB8

2 acres of trees south and west of the house have been removed.

Cheers,

Don

Hey Don, In picture #4, I see a house. In picture #5, it's not there.

Did you take a break in building the hangar and build a house?

Re: pic #4:

Has anyone ever poured a concrete floor that didn't pond water in multiple pools after a rain? My hangar floor and subsequent concrete apron are the same way - and we carted off extra mix after each pour. So aggravating when you hire pro's and believe they did their best.

Re: pic #4:

Has anyone ever poured a concrete floor that didn't pond water in multiple pools after a rain? My hangar floor and subsequent concrete apron are the same way - and we carted off extra mix after each pour. So aggravating when you hire pro's and believe they did their best.

Yes, my concrete guy is a magician. He poured the 50'x50' slab for my hangar and placed the anchor bolts required by my red iron building kit. They were place perfectly, I didn't need ANY shims to square up the main support elements (as per the instructions), and when it rained before I got the roof on, a little time with a leaf blower had it all dry. No puddles. It was amazing.

I started building my hangar this past summer. 50’x38’ cement slab, 15’ from floor to ceiling. Plans are to sheath and metal roof and sides, as well as insulate and metal ceiling and interior. Plans for a mezzanine and deck, as well as a bedroom for visitors.

Door opening is 38’x12’ and I’ll be going a sliding door route for now. I have a 2200’ grass strip at CRA3 and cleared 2 acres of trees for parking. Will eventually have fly ins every 2nd weekend in September.

Stay tuned!
Hi Don
did you have to register aerodrome or it was registered alredy?
did you have to go through consultation process?

Hi Don
did you have to register aerodrome or it was registered alredy?
did you have to go through consultation process?
No, it was not registered and I completed the entire process on my own. Not very difficult and if you need it, I can send my process/application I created for Transport and Nav Canada.

Back