What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT 4000 Issues -RV6 O360a1a

Pfatt2

Hi all. My shop seems to have changed some of the settings and they can't figure it out, but for some reason my amperage gets in the red at 9 amps load. Does anyone know the proper range for the amperage setting and where the red zone starts?

Also, my fuel pressure is reading as high as 17 or 18 psi and it should be 3.5, maxing our at 8, but the plane flies and response just fine so I'm trying to wrap my head around what might be the problem.

Hi all. My shop seems to have changed some of the settings and they can't figure it out, but for some reason my amperage gets in the red at 9 amps load. Does anyone know the proper range for the amperage setting and where the red zone starts?

Also, my fuel pressure is reading as high as 17 or 18 psi and it should be 3.5, maxing our at 8, but the plane flies and response just fine so I'm trying to wrap my head around what might be the problem.
Since you mentioned "red" and the 4000 is a black and white display, I assume you're using an EFIS to display the amps? If so the normal, caution, 'red line' settings are found in the EFIS set up that you're using to display the data. Check your alternator data plate for the 'red line'. e.g. for the common and often vilified 'Plane Power' alternator a common red line is 60 amps.
For the fuel pressure, is the assumed faulty reading on the EIS4000 or on the EFIS? That will tell you where to start looking.

Since you mentioned "red" and the 4000 is a black and white display, I assume you're using an EFIS to display the amps? If so the normal, caution, 'red line' settings are found in the EFIS set up that you're using to display the data. Check your alternator data plate for the 'red line'. e.g. for the common and often vilified 'Plane Power' alternator a common red line is 60 amps.
For the fuel pressure, is the assumed faulty reading on the EIS4000 or on the EFIS? That will tell you where to start looking.
I do have something that transmits the GRT data to my Ipad, but it merely mimics what the GRT tells it. Looking on the data plate is an excellent start on the amps range Thank you. For the fuel pressure, that is the reading on the actual GRT and again transmitted to my display, which match each other, perfectly.

You must have one of the iLevil products.

Ditto what Bob said.

But a question ...Are the values ALL wrong? You need to make sure that all of the VALUES are correct and then you can set the thresholds for red, yellow, or green.

The 4000 is a project, within itself, to set the data readings.
You will need the instruction manual to fix that.
The programming mode is painful.
The 'offset' and "slope' parameters will need to be set to get you in the range you need for the fuel pressure signals.

I installed the Horizon 10.1 last year. The 4000 sits happily feeding info to the display thru that one signal wire.

Last edited:
BEFORE DOING ANYTHING please write down ALL EIS configuration and limits settings currently in the EIS. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did!

Additionally keep a record of prior configuration and limits settings as you change them. Again,, you’ll be happy to have that record later down the road. I have an excel spreadsheet with all EIS settings and anytime they’re changed I print a record copy before updating the spreadsheet.

My fuel pressure is from 3 to 30 carbureted. Where does the diode go to fix this problem? EIS 4000 with GRT Sport. Thanks.

My fuel pressure is from 3 to 30 carbureted. Where does the diode go to fix this problem? EIS 4000 with GRT Sport. Thanks.
Pin 25, exciter voltage

pin, wire, resistor wire ………. To positive pin on fuel sender, black to ground.

Back