What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GROVE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER OVERHAUL

chrispratt

Well Known Member
After 16 years of trouble-free use, the brake master cylinders on my RV-8 needed an overhaul. For those of you who use the Grove brake master cylinders and are considering overhauling them, here’s a quick guide to what they look like inside and a few things to help prepare for the job. I hope this description and Tips will save you a little frustration for a job most of us will rarely need to do.

Before you start, order the overhaul kit, Grove part number 067-100, which consists of four O-Rings (Aircraft Spruce has these and I imagine others carry it as well). One kit per cylinder. You’ll need a snap-ring pliers for removal of the retaining ring on top of the cylinder. A dental pick or similar tool for removing the O-Rings. Have on hand a tube of Loctite 262 that you’ll need for reassembly (I couldn’t find the Loctite at the local hardware stores but found it on Amazon with a two-week lead time). And of course, whatever hydraulic fluid you use for the brakes. Plus, the usual tools, I found a punch came in handy, as did a pliers, and the usual tools you have on hand as an EAB builder.

Download the Master Cylinder and Maintenance guide from https://www.groveaircraft.com/.

Removing the master cylinders was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be especially if you remove the forward baggage floor (itself a pain). From the baggage door you can easily reach the castle nuts and their cotter pins which is the only real challenge. Note their orientation for subsequent reinstallation.

TIP 1: When reinstalling, orient the left master cylinder castle nuts so they face you to make later removal and installation easier.

TIP 2: Make a note of the number of threads showing at the top of the master cylinder before disassembly so you can set this the same when you reassemble.

TIP 3: Note the orientation of the bolt hole at the top of the piston relative to the cylinder brake fluid ports so this will be the same on reassembly.

TIP 4: Wear safety glasses. You’ll thank me later.

Removing the ring seal requires three hands so it helps to have an assistant, at least for the five minutes this takes. Same is true on the reinstall. I found that a bench vice helps. Be sure to wear the safety glasses as residual hydraulic fluid may be lurking in the cylinder body.

The photo below shows the disassembled unit removed from the cylinder. It’s actually beautiful – almost a work of art. You’ll easily see three of the four O-Rings needing removal plus there’s one hiding inside the rod support.

As you remove the spring guide at the bottom of the unit, note the orientation of the piston rod. On reassembly, the chamfered end needs to face the small O-Ring on the piston rod.

Use the dental pick to remove all the O-Rings, inspect the unit for corrosion, gouges, etc. If everything looks good, then clean it as instructed and install the new O-Rings. Reassemble per the instructions.

The rest is pretty straightforward other than the cursing that accompanies installing the cotter pins.

In my RV-8, perhaps in all RV’s, the brake lines are spaced very close together once assembled. Mine seemed to be rubbing together much more than I remembered when they were removed. This might take some experimentation. I finally found that swapping ends of one of the brake lines from top to bottom solved the problem.

Sorry for the lengthy description but as this is something you probably will seldom do, a little preview might help save you some of the frustration I ran into by not having all the items I needed right up front.

The end result was that my RV-8 brakes now hold better than ever, so it was all worth it.

Happy flying.

Chris

After 16 years of trouble-free use, the brake master cylinders on my RV-8 needed an overhaul. For those of you who use the Grove brake master cylinders and are considering overhauling them, here’s a quick guide to what they look like inside and a few things to help prepare for the job. I hope this description and Tips will save you a little frustration for a job most of us will rarely need to do.

Before you start, order the overhaul kit, Grove part number 067-100, which consists of four O-Rings (Aircraft Spruce has these and I imagine others carry it as well). One kit per cylinder. You’ll need a snap-ring pliers for removal of the retaining ring on top of the cylinder. A dental pick or similar tool for removing the O-Rings. Have on hand a tube of Loctite 262 that you’ll need for reassembly (I couldn’t find the Loctite at the local hardware stores but found it on Amazon with a two-week lead time). And of course, whatever hydraulic fluid you use for the brakes. Plus, the usual tools, I found a punch came in handy, as did a pliers, and the usual tools you have on hand as an EAB builder.

Download the Master Cylinder and Maintenance guide from https://www.groveaircraft.com/.

Removing the master cylinders was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be especially if you remove the forward baggage floor (itself a pain). From the baggage door you can easily reach the castle nuts and their cotter pins which is the only real challenge. Note their orientation for subsequent reinstallation.

TIP 1: When reinstalling, orient the left master cylinder castle nuts so they face you to make later removal and installation easier.

TIP 2: Make a note of the number of threads showing at the top of the master cylinder before disassembly so you can set this the same when you reassemble.

TIP 3: Note the orientation of the bolt hole at the top of the piston relative to the cylinder brake fluid ports so this will be the same on reassembly.

TIP 4: Wear safety glasses. You’ll thank me later.

Removing the ring seal requires three hands so it helps to have an assistant, at least for the five minutes this takes. Same is true on the reinstall. I found that a bench vice helps. Be sure to wear the safety glasses as residual hydraulic fluid may be lurking in the cylinder body.

The photo below shows the disassembled unit removed from the cylinder. It’s actually beautiful – almost a work of art. You’ll easily see three of the four O-Rings needing removal plus there’s one hiding inside the rod support.

As you remove the spring guide at the bottom of the unit, note the orientation of the piston rod. On reassembly, the chamfered end needs to face the small O-Ring on the piston rod.

Use the dental pick to remove all the O-Rings, inspect the unit for corrosion, gouges, etc. If everything looks good, then clean it as instructed and install the new O-Rings. Reassemble per the instructions.

The rest is pretty straightforward other than the cursing that accompanies installing the cotter pins.

In my RV-8, perhaps in all RV’s, the brake lines are spaced very close together once assembled. Mine seemed to be rubbing together much more than I remembered when they were removed. This might take some experimentation. I finally found that swapping ends of one of the brake lines from top to bottom solved the problem.

Sorry for the lengthy description but as this is something you probably will seldom do, a little preview might help save you some of the frustration I ran into by not having all the items I needed right up front.

The end result was that my RV-8 brakes now hold better than ever, so it was all worth it.

Happy flying.

Chris
Chris, great job sharing your tips for rebuilding the Grove master cylinder. I'm about to take on the task of overhauling mine as well. Would you mind sharing what your master cylinder was doing wrong that drove you to the overhaul? I have a soft brake on the first application, then it recovers to normal on the second application. I've bled the brake everyday I know how and think I have eliminated air as an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff McDonald
N241WW
[email protected]

Chris, great job sharing your tips for rebuilding the Grove master cylinder. I'm about to take on the task of overhauling mine as well. Would you mind sharing what your master cylinder was doing wrong that drove you to the overhaul? I have a soft brake on the first application, then it recovers to normal on the second application. I've bled the brake everyday I know how and think I have eliminated air as an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff McDonald
N241WW
[email protected]
Jeff:

Happy to help.

I was having soft brake issues on my left brake (RV-8). It was getting to the point of being dangerous and pumping the brake did not help. The brake pads were fine. So I tried changing the O-Ring in brake puck but that didn't help. I re-bled the brakes after changing that O-Ring and they worked for a flight or two and then the left went soft again. I figured I'd done a poor job of bleeding the brakes, so I emptied the brake lines and bled them again. Same result; The left brake faded after one flight. (Note: the right brake was always fine.) I even bought a new fitting for my brake bleeder tank thinking that the fitting was the problem and wasn't making a tight connection (which it wasn't). The new fitting made no difference. So the only thing left that I could think of was that the master cylinder was letting hydraulic fluid bypass the O-Rings and therefore the soft pedal. Since it was 15 years since I'd installed the master cylinders it made sense they might need new O-Rings. I had put this off thinking it was going to be a major pain to remove, but it really wasn't that bad.

If this sounds like your situation, then I'd encourage you to buy the overhaul kit (4 O-Rings per kit, one kit per master cylinder) and do the job. If you don't have the LocTite 262, order it now or, hopefully, you have a mechanic or friend nearby that does. You only need one drop per cylinder. I had called Grove and asked if there was an alternate glue but they said all they have ever used was the Loctite. Also, be sure you have a snap ring removal tool. And for sure, when your ready to remove and reinstall the snap ring, it's a big help to have a friend with you who can help. You need three hands for the job.

Since I did the overhaul the brakes have worked better than new. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Chris

Jeff:

Happy to help.

I was having soft brake issues on my left brake (RV-8). It was getting to the point of being dangerous and pumping the brake did not help. The brake pads were fine. So I tried changing the O-Ring in brake puck but that didn't help. I re-bled the brakes after changing that O-Ring and they worked for a flight or two and then the left went soft again. I figured I'd done a poor job of bleeding the brakes, so I emptied the brake lines and bled them again. Same result; The left brake faded after one flight. (Note: the right brake was always fine.) I even bought a new fitting for my brake bleeder tank thinking that the fitting was the problem and wasn't making a tight connection (which it wasn't). The new fitting made no difference. So the only thing left that I could think of was that the master cylinder was letting hydraulic fluid bypass the O-Rings and therefore the soft pedal. Since it was 15 years since I'd installed the master cylinders it made sense they might need new O-Rings. I had put this off thinking it was going to be a major pain to remove, but it really wasn't that bad.

If this sounds like your situation, then I'd encourage you to buy the overhaul kit (4 O-Rings per kit, one kit per master cylinder) and do the job. If you don't have the LocTite 262, order it now or, hopefully, you have a mechanic or friend nearby that does. You only need one drop per cylinder. I had called Grove and asked if there was an alternate glue but they said all they have ever used was the Loctite. Also, be sure you have a snap ring removal tool. And for sure, when your ready to remove and reinstall the snap ring, it's a big help to have a friend with you who can help. You need three hands for the job.

Since I did the overhaul the brakes have worked better than new. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris, that's all very helpful. I seem to have a similar story, after pressure filling the reservoir, and vacuum bleeding, I'm almost certain I don't have an air problem. Mine is interesting in that it might feel fine in the hangar, once I taxi it starts acting soft. It's been soft on the first application and then firms up for the second and subsequent applications, but recently it's getting a little worse where I might have to pump it 1-2 times to get it back to normal. Like your situation, have one good brake and one questionable. I have the kit inbound and will start trying to find some Loctite 262; I did a search earlier today and it is not readily available. Thanks for the good information and the tips on how to do it.

Jeff

Back