What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna mounting

I am preparing to do a panel upgrade which will result in a GTN650 with an antenna, and two Dynon displays (both of which can have their own GPS antennas. I have mounted the primary GPS antennas for the Garmin 650 and the Dynon HDX1100 behind the rear seat and this location is working well for both units. During the upgrade I can install a second Dynon antenna as primary for the HDX800 and backup for the HDX1100. I can mount this antenna on the glareshield or under the engine cowling. I would prefer under the cowl and keep the glareshield free of clutter. Any experience out there on a Dynon GPS antenna mounted under the cowling?
Bill

I always mount the Dynon GPS Antenna/receiver on the glare shield. I wrap it in dark gray cloth to eliminate the glare. It works perfectly in this location so why put it under the cowl?

For that matter, why two Dynon GPS antenna/receivers in addition to the GTN-650? The one Dynon antenna/receiver will feed both displays (and is the normal configuration).

Carl

Any experience out there on a Dynon GPS antenna mounted under the cowling?
My current RV-8 has the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS ANTENNA/RECEIVER MODULE mounted under the cowl. It has good reception and have not had an issue. Don't mount it too close to the firewall to avoid blocking issues.

i-znJ84H3-M.jpg

Screenshot of my typical GPS fix status, which is good. The Dynon manual explains acceptable and unacceptable reception results.

i-WjFNHsN-L.jpg

I am preparing to do a panel upgrade which will result in a GTN650 with an antenna, and two Dynon displays (both of which can have their own GPS antennas. I have mounted the primary GPS antennas for the Garmin 650 and the Dynon HDX1100 behind the rear seat and this location is working well for both units. During the upgrade I can install a second Dynon antenna as primary for the HDX800 and backup for the HDX1100. I can mount this antenna on the glareshield or under the engine cowling. I would prefer under the cowl and keep the glareshield free of clutter. Any experience out there on a Dynon GPS antenna mounted under the cowling?
Bill
I mounted my Garmin GPS receiver underneath the cowl and don't have any problem. As a point of reference, the RV12 E-LSA has the GPS antenna mounted under the cowl too per the factory drawing.

my gps is mounted under the cowl, much like post #3. but mine has 2 antennas next to each other and no problems.

Bill
If GTN650 is like the 375, they call for 6’ min coax no matter where the antenna is mounted. So you might have to coil up the coax to get that min length it calls out for in install manual. But you probably already know this.

If GTN650 is like the 375, they call for 6’ min coax no matter where the antenna is mounted. So you might have to coil up the coax to get that min length it calls out for in install manual. But you probably already know this.
Thanks for all of the input. The second Dynon antenna is just a belt and suspender thing. The panel fun begins in about two weeks.

A while back I saw sort of a cool setup. The owner had the optional avionics access panels forward of the windshield base and had fabricated panels out of fiberglass to replace the standard aluminum ones. The antenna were on a tray under those covers. No idea about what blanking issues he may have had with them recessed like that.

I have Garmin antennas and for the secondary (non-IFR) antennas, they're black and so small that I decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and I just put them on the glare shield.

A while back I saw sort of a cool setup. The owner had the optional avionics access panels forward of the windshield base and had fabricated panels out of fiberglass to replace the standard aluminum ones. The antenna were on a tray under those covers. No idea about what blanking issues he may have had with them recessed like that.

I have Garmin antennas and for the secondary (non-IFR) antennas, they're black and so small that I decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze and I just put them on the glare shield.

Works very very very well...

Next time I'll just use .090" LEXAN instead of the hassle of the custom layup.

IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0855.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0842.JPG

Nice! I couldn't remember who it was that had done that.

I'm not happy with the pillowing that I ended up with on the standard aluminum panels there. I recessed the nut plate rings enough that I was planning to make stiffer ones out of .040, but seeing yours, I might just make them out of fiberglass instead. It should be easy enough to lay up some flat panels between two sheets of glass and then trim them after they dry.

Nice! I couldn't remember who it was that had done that.

I'm not happy with the pillowing that I ended up with on the standard aluminum panels there. I recessed the nut plate rings enough that I was planning to make stiffer ones out of .040, but seeing yours, I might just make them out of fiberglass instead. It should be easy enough to lay up some flat panels between two sheets of glass and then trim them after they dry.
You can buy fiberglass sheet (FR4) in all range of thicknesses as well. Just trim to size and drill. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2045970172...zeT+iDLN1SsvCTuIwoCeERpA==|tkp:Bk9SR6Kez-HZYw

I installed mine just aft and slightly to port of the back seat. I used the Paul Dye technique of making a resin plate to fit under the antenna so that the antenna sat on a flat surface which then sat on the curved turtle deck.

Allows for the 6 foot cable length and works extremely well in that position.

Attachments

• ADS-B.jpg
    ADS-B.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
I have 3 GPS antennas. I 3D printed a square 2 piece frame to hold some carbon fiber vinyl, heated up the vinyl with a heat gun, then formed it over the antennas. I then printed a ring that snapped around the base to hide the seams. I didn't like the look of white antennas on a black paintjob, and they say to not paint.

The vinyl covering has no noticeable affect on the GPS signal, surely less than having the antennas under the cowling.

Sorry, I don't have a picture on hand, but I did this for both Garmin GPS and the Dynon GPS antennas.

Back