What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro wifi issue

RobertD

Well Known Member
not sure if photography is the right forum, but here goes ...

my amazing wife gave me a GoPro Hero4 silver for a recent birthday so I immediately got myself a bundle of mounts from Plane Around. The mounts are seriously nicely made stuff so if you've got one of these cameras don't hesitate to get their mounts.

I've tried the tie down mount and the wing tip mount. I really like the wing tip mount on the lower side of the wing.

I've tried this camera in flight two times now and both times have had an issue with losing the wifi connection with the iphone app. This is only about 10 feet from camera to iphone. A backyard test showed that this connection will work at least several times that distance.

Anyone else had this issue? Any solution? Battery life is limited so remote control of the GoPro is really necessary.

I didn't find much by searching except one poster who thought maybe it was some sort of interference. He didn't get any response to his complaint.

thanks for any info y'all can offer.

Anywhere above the wing works most of the time for me. Below the wing in the tie down mount works most times but any further out under the wing I have problems. Metal in the wing shields the signal. Quick Google search. http://www.ehow.com/info_10072588_metal-affect-wireless-signal.html
If I want it lower surface I always turn it on before launch and off after landing (if there is still battery life left).

Last edited:
Same problem here, I have not found nor looked for a solution though I too suspect engine or electrical interference.

GoPro wifi is WEAK

It's probably my only real complaint with the GoPro series of cameras. The wifi is seriously range limited. I have problems on the airplane and I have problems when flying it on a drone. It's just TOO weak!

On the RV-4, anything under the wing is a problem. The tail, nose, and top of the wing all work well.

I have the Hero 4 and the Session and they both have the same wifi range issues.

EDIT - I meant to add that I do have better luck with the GoPro remote than with the iPhone App. Also, with the remote, you can control more than one camera at a time.

Last edited:
well, dern

I was afraid that was the issue. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll move the mount to the top of the wing and give it a try.

Back