What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Disconect vs Sync or CWS function

toolmanmike

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m wiring my garmin autopilot with the GSA 28s and see the AP disc wire. Doesn’t the autopilot have a sync or control wheel steering function as well? I know I’ve seen the buttons on control sticks and I really like the function of being able to hold a button and set my pitch in a climb or descent without turning the AP off. I don’t see it in the wiring diagrams.

Anyone have this?

What I want:
TOGA button
AP disconnect button on stick
AP Sync button on stick

Look for the CWS input. I have a momentary push switch on top of my stick. Holding it down lets me maneuver. A momentary press disconnects autopilot.

Pushing the button momentarily is a disconnect. Pushing and holding it, will function as CWS.

So this IS the AP disconnect wiring on the diagrams? Just hold for sync ? Sounds great thanks.

CWS

So this IS the AP disconnect wiring on the diagrams? Just hold for sync ? Sounds great thanks.

This is correct, with some important details to be aware of.

First, this is only true if the system is configured for CWS to be enabled (Configuration Mode > Autopilot Menu). If this setting is enabled, a short press and release of the AP/CWS button will disengage the autopilot if it is engaged. Pressing and holding the AP/CWS button places the autopilot into CWS mode. In CWS mode, the servos are temporarily disengaged, allowing the pilot to hand-fly the aircraft to a new aircraft attitude. When the AP/CWS button is released, the autopilot exits CWS mode and the flight director synchronizes to the current aircraft attitude (if applicable for the current flight director modes).

The G3X Touch Pilot's Guide is a good reference for exploring how CWS will behave in relation to different flight director modes (Page 317 of Revision V). For example, ALT, PIT, and VS mode will capture the new altitude, pitch reference, or vertical speed reference when the CWS button is released. However, NAV and HDG mode return to the original reference after the CWS button is released. Each mode has unique considerations, we recommend reviewing this section of the Pilots guide before using this function.

Another configuration setting to be aware of is "Engage AP Via CWS Input" (Configuration Mode > Autopilot Menu). If this setting is enabled, a press of the AP/CWS switch engages the Autopilot. When this setting is disabled, a press of the AP/CWS button has no effect.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Back