What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin CNC-255 error message

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Installed in a friend's RV9A and the message NAVIGATION RECEIVER HAS FAILED comes up from time to time. It has been to a repair facility where it has been on the bench for two days with no error messages. They reckon it is possible that it is the supply power to the nav section that might be the problem. Has anyone here seen this before?
Garmin GNC255 Fault Message.JPG

Has the operating software been updated to the latest version?

Latest versions posted by Garmin are Display v3.02, Comm v2.30 and Nav v6.03.
The software is free for your registered unit. A one time database worldwide update is $25 USD.

Your GNC255 should have a short pigtail USB adapter that will allow you to do your own updates without having to take it to a shop. Takes no more than 5 minutes to do each update.

Attachments

• 2139a.pdf
    129.9 KB · Views: 9
Thank you Carlos, yes the firmware upgrade has been done at the same time. Do you think that it can be a firmware issue?

It certainly shouldn't hurt anything at all if you do another software update and it might clear up your problem. Just make sure your USB stick is formatted to FAT32 and that nothing other than the extracted .exe file is on it. Once you're done with the first update, reformat the USB stick and run the second update.

Did this problem just start or did it happen after the return from the avionics shop?
After you clear the error, are you able to tune in and receive any VOR or ILS frequencies?
Like your shop mentioned, there are two separate power inputs, one for COMM and the other for NAV. Have you checked your fuse/CB for the NAV side? Wire crimps to your power source? Maybe a bent pin after reinserting the unit? Not likely to happen but you might want to check the rear connector on your tray to make sure it hasn't backed out.

Good luck.

I've had this error message on my GNC255A twice, both times required a return to Garmin for a flat rate repair. Before sending in we fully verified power to the NAV receiver and SW was current.
-Greg

Did this problem just start or did it happen after the return from the avionics shop?
After you clear the error, are you able to tune in and receive any VOR or ILS frequencies?
Like your shop mentioned, there are two separate power inputs, one for COMM and the other for NAV. Have you checked your fuse/CB for the NAV side? Wire crimps to your power source? Maybe a bent pin after reinserting the unit? Not likely to happen but you might want to check the rear connector on your tray to make sure it hasn't backed out.

The problem has been there for a long time. It is on it's way back from the avionics shop today to the airfield where the aircraft is based. Yesterday the wiring was checked and it was found that the the nav connector on the rear of the tray was slightly loose. This means that there is a chance that some of the pins did not make good contact or backed out. We will see when it is back in the tray and tested. Note that I am not close to the aircraft and is relying on the local shop where the aircraft is based for information.

I've had this error message on my GNC255A twice, both times required a return to Garmin for a flat rate repair. Before sending in we fully verified power to the NAV receiver and SW was current.

Has your problem now been solved?

Back