What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 420 back to certified?

enterprise

Sponsor
I am selling a GNC 420 from my Eagle. I am getting questions about putting it back in a certified aircraft. I assume the unit is TSO since there is not a experimental version of it. Would sending it back through a repair shop be enough for them to yellow tag it?

All parts must have a certification as to their airworthiness status. Sometimes a yellow tag is used for this purpose, but it is the statement required by FAR 43.9 or 43.11 that is required, and it can be on any type or color of record.
If a part (or article) does not have a certification, then it would have to be sent to a shop that is authorized to inspect and certify the component as airworthy.
The shop would have to be an FAA approved repair station that has the proper rating to work on such articles, and that specific article would have to be listed on their capabilities list.

Good luck

How was it uncertified? Did you write Garmin and ask them to take the certification off the unit?

How was it uncertified? Did you write Garmin and ask them to take the certification off the unit?

I was about to ask the same question. If it was certified before it was used in the experimental, why does he think it's not certified now, if he didn't do any software changes to it?

I think the answer is the same as for a certified engine: since EAB has no record keeping requirements for maintenance, and anyone can work on it, it needs to be inspected by an IA to ascertain that it has not been improperly ‘altered’. For a 430 it might be as simple as a shop observing that the anti-tamper seals were unbroken. But I suspect someone with appropriate ratings needs to do this.

I understand an engine but what maintenance do you perform on avionics aside from software updates?

Its approved to install in certified aircraft, thats all thats needed. If its going to be installed in a certified plane it will be tested during the install, the avionics shop and pilot do the testing.

I have never heard of an "inspection" of any kind to put a certificated piece of avionics back into a certificated aircraft after EAB installation. Besides, EAB record keeping requirements are for the airframe/engine, avionics falls under different FARs that apply to ALL aircraft including EABs. That is why you have to have a certificated GPS unit to fly and file GPS IFR in an EAB aircraft and can't legally do it with just an "iThingy". This is one area where you should keep doing as the FAA has always accepted and not "poke the bear".

FWIW; I have been doing aviation related work of this kind for a very, very long time.

Last edited:
It was never "uncertified", if you want to send it through a shop just for fun, it's your money. Absolutely unnecessary.

Back