What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Upgrade - How to backup settings?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to swap two GDU-370's for two GDU-470's. I also need to swap the green config module to the newer black config module. And I'm replacing the standalone Dynon D6 with a G5, at the same time.

I think I've saved screenshots of every page in the config but I didn't see a way to download the fuel sender calibration or to save the data on the config module.

I'm sure it's spelled out in the manual someplace but I could find it. A little help?

I've read the two articles in Kitplanes (G3X Upgrade & Small Screen Upgrade!) but any additional comments from those with the benefit of hindsight are appreciated.

The rest of the system is a GTX-23ES, GDL39R, GMU-22 and GSU-25, if that matters.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=210004

You've probably read this, but this was my experience upgrading to the 470. Not really the plug and play that Garmin advertises. I think there is a way to transfer the fuel quantity calibration, but I'd just be getting into the same manual you are using. My biggest take away is that you need to cut a new panel. Enlarging the holes and trying to get everything secured is sketchy on the existing panel. Good luck!

The procedure for this is covered in section 32.2.1.5 of the installation manual. If you are replacing the config module, you can ignore the steps related to formatting an existing config module.

You've probably read this, but this was my experience upgrading to the 470. Not really the plug and play that Garmin advertises. I think there is a way to transfer the fuel quantity calibration, but I'd just be getting into the same manual you are using. My biggest take away is that you need to cut a new panel. Enlarging the holes and trying to get everything secured is sketchy on the existing panel. Good luck!
Yes, I have read your thread. But given that you have a GSU-73, I thought your experience might have been a bit different.

I'm not cutting a new panel right now. We'll see how it goes.

The procedure for this is covered in section 32.2.1.5 of the installation manual. If you are replacing the config module, you can ignore the steps related to formatting an existing config module.
Thanks very much, Matt. I knew it was in there someplace.

Here's some info I didn't know that might be helpful for others:

I wanted to have database update cards ready for the G3X Touch upgrade. Right now, my Garmin Aviation Database Manager account has the database update files for the Legacy G3X system.

I called G3Xpert and Seth made the changes necessary for me to download the G3X Touch databases. However, I mentioned I will also be swapping the old Green config module for a new Black config module. Seth said the database updates are tied to the system ID and the system ID will change after swapping the config modules. And I won't know the new system ID until after installing the new Black Config module.

So, after installing the new Black config module, I'll need to call Garmin to have the new System ID applied to my Garmin Aviation Database Manager account in order to download and install Touch database updates.

Seth also said the fuel config files I saved to an SD card won't upload once once the config module is changed and the system has a new ID. He suggested I power-up the system with the old Green module, install the latest OS, attempt to upload the fuel config files, save the config settings to an SD card and then remove and replace the Green config module with the Black config module.

Seth said this should theoretically work but is untested. If it doesn't work, I'll have to do a new fuel level calibration.

What could possibly go wrong! :p

Seth also said the fuel config files I saved to an SD card won't upload once once the config module is changed and the system has a new ID.

Perhaps he is thinking of something else, but the G3X fuel quantity calibration files ("fuel_lvl1.cal", etc) don't contain any aircraft-specific identifying information, so there should be no problem using these files created by a GDU 37x in a GDU 4xx. I've done it plenty of times myself.

Perhaps he is thinking of something else, but the G3X fuel quantity calibration files ("fuel_lvl1.cal", etc) don't contain any aircraft-specific identifying information, so there should be no problem using these files created by a GDU 37x in a GDU 4xx. I've done it plenty of times myself.

I hope so. I also wonder about the several other things that have a "calibration" setting, such as aileron and elevator trim position?

The fuel calibration files were the only files I could find to physically save to an SD card. Once both GDU's are swapped and the config module is changed, where else could any variable information be stored?

...My biggest take away is that you need to cut a new panel. Enlarging the holes and trying to get everything secured is sketchy on the existing panel. Good luck!

Cutting a new panel would definitely yield perfection but it also would have been a much bigger job overall. We got it done in afternoon.

I hadn't realized the Dynon D6 was in a recessed mount. The bezel was about 1/2" proud of the panel face, so it wasn't apparent until we removed the unit. We had to remove the recessed D6 bracket (which was also riveted to the panel) and make a quick adapter plate to mount the G5 (not yet painted in the pics below).

Removing the old mounting rings and slightly enlarging the cutouts was probably the most time consuming aspect but not too bad.

There is just a bit of chipped powder coat where the old mounting ring rivets were loacted.

Sorry for the fingerprints.

New 1.jpg New 2.jpg

Chip 1.jpg Chip 2.jpg Chip 3.jpg

G5 1.jpg G5 2.jpg

Nearly everything is working as it should. The only error message I see is on the G5 - "Not receiving RS-232 Data."

The G5 is connected via CAN Bus to the G3X and a GTN-650Xi. Am I correct in assuming I should set the G5's RS-232 Input Format to MapMX as shown in the red box below?

GTN-Xi G5.jpg

The screenshot below is from the GDU-370 prior to swapping to the GDU-470's. I have duplicated all of these settings in the GDU-470 and have no G3X error messages.

In looking more closely at the G3X Installation manual, it looks like I should change the PFD RS-232 1 setting from NEMA Out (4800 Baud) to GTN Connext 2. Is this correct? We added the wires for Connext and bi-direction MapMX when we did the swap.

Lastly, the G5 ARINC 429 settings outlined in the green box above are the same as the G3X ARINC 429 settings I currently have configured (shown below). Do I need to set those in the G5 as well? Or is the G5 getting that config information from the G3X via the Can BUS?

Port Configuartion.jpg

Nearly everything is working as it should. The only error message I see is on the G5 - "Not receiving RS-232 Data."

The G5 is connected via CAN Bus to the G3X and a GTN-650Xi. Am I correct in assuming I should set the G5's RS-232 Input Format to MapMX as shown in the red box below?

What is connected to the RS-232 input on your G5?

In looking more closely at the G3X Installation manual, it looks like I should change the PFD RS-232 1 setting from NEMA Out (4800 Baud) to GTN Connext 2. Is this correct?

Depends on what's connected there.

Lastly, the G5 ARINC 429 settings outlined in the green box above are the same as the G3X ARINC 429 settings I currently have configured (shown below). Do I need to set those in the G5 as well?

These will be configured automatically.

Serial wiring needed ?

My Stein built panel has the serial port wired (pin 4 and 6) for my G5 but my newest panel (not Stein built) does not have this wired. Only can bus and power. Both panels dual G3X and GTN’s, same AP, transponder. What’s the downside ?

My Stein built panel has the serial port wired (pin 4 and 6) for my G5 but my newest panel (not Stein built) does not have this wired. Only can bus and power. Both panels dual G3X and GTN’s, same AP, transponder. What’s the downside ?

In my experience, there will be little difference under normal circumstances, but you will of course lack a redundant connection.

What is connected to the RS-232 input on your G5?
I'm pretty sure G5 Pin-4 is connected to a GTN serial output. I set the G5 RS-232 Input Format to MapMX and it now shows green check mark with no error message.

G5 RS-232.jpg

...it looks like I should change the PFD RS-232 1 setting from NEMA Out (4800 Baud) to GTN Connext 2...
Depends on what's connected there.
I had my ports mixed up. The PFD RS-232 Port #1 is wired to the ACK ELT.

What's interesting is that the ACK manual shows the factory default baud rate as 9600. But the Legacy G3X PFD RS-232 setting was configured to 4800 baud (which I've replicated in the Touch). Either the Legacy PFD RS-232 Port #1 configuration should have been 9600 baud or the ELT board was jumpered to 4800 baud. I'll have a look at the ELT board the next time I'm in the tail cone.

I also configured the GTN RS-232 #3 to Connext Format 2 and the PFD RS-232 #3 to Connext 57600 baud. Green check marks so all seems well!

GTN RS-232.jpg

PFD RS-232.jpg

These will be configured automatically.
Thanks for confirming.

An FYI;

I can't find it anywhere on Garmin's site but while at the Garmin booth at Sun 'n Fun today, I was told that support for non-touch G3X systems has ended.

Don't quote me but I believe he said there is now a $750 credit offered for upgrade (I assume per screen).

I upgraded mine and had no problem enlarging where necessary (slight enlargements). I have a separate Advaance Flight System 2500 engine monitor so can't help with that.
My G3X Touch Screen Upgrade

Back