What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel gauges wrecked ?

Python

Hi , I’ve recently had my battery on charge & accidentally left the master on whilst charging. I’ve noticed that my fuel gauges now seem u/s( they were fine before this).I’m pretty sure they are the original float type sender and are the standard Vans round 12volt gauges.Does anyone know where to start looking to find the problem I assume it’s a electrical issue. Pardon my ignorance as I’m a pilot not a builder.��.

Last edited:
Hi , I’ve recently had my battery on charge & accidentally left the master on whilst charging. I’ve noticed that my fuel gauges now seem u/s( they were fine before this).I’m pretty sure they are the original float type gauge. Does anyone know where to start looking to find the problem I assume it’s a electrical issue. Pardon my ignorance as I’m a pilot not a builder.🐍.

So these are the individual round gauges, about 2.25" diameter?

If you disconnect the fuel sender, just be gentle and don't over torque the screw holding the ring terminal. It is very easy to break the connection on the sender inside the tank.

IMG_9250_HEIC-M.jpg

If the problem was caused by the battery charger, it is very unlikely that the senders were damaged. They are simply variable resistors.

What was the output from your charger? The fuel gauges should be able to withstand the charger voltage. The alternator system is feeding the buss around 14.3 volts on a twelve volt system, and most chargers don't do much more than that.

Back