What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh sea food?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Is there someplace along the SE coast that I can land and easily get to a seaport to buy some fresh crab legs?

KMQI

The one time my dad and I went to the Carolina coast to load my RV with fresh seafood, it was at Manteo, NC. Of course, it helped that dad was good friends with the trawler owners - who came to the airport with his precious cargo for custom delivery.

They LOL'd when I took out the bathroom scale I had brought along - to be sure we were not going to exceed aft CG with all that shrimp, scallops, and packed crabmeat plus the ice. Had to eventually dispose of the baggage compartment floor carpet to get rid of the seafood smell that appeared a few days later. :eek:

-Stormy

Crabs

W41 claims to be the crab capital of the world. Tanger Is. Also has lots of crabs. Both strips are close to town.

Thanks for the input!

I'll look into W41.

Stormy, I don't have carpet in my baggage compartment, for just such reasons! I hope triple bagging and some Styrofoam coolers might help. We will see.

Is there someplace along the SE coast that I can land and easily get to a seaport to buy some fresh crab legs?

Hmmm. Bill, that sounds suspiciously like an invitation for me to teach you how to eat a whole crab.... Its time consuming. It takes all afternoon, a pile of crabs and plenty of beer (to keep hydrated.) :D

Interesting question - what kind of crab? Stone crab?

Here is a link that shows various commercial seafood production by port region.

It might help narrow your search.

https://public.myfwc.com/FWRI/PFDM/ReportCreator.aspx

I did an application survey once for trap boats in Marathon Fl. At the end of a long day of data acquisition (manual in those days), the fleet manager dropped 5 gal of stone crab claws for us at the hotel. We got a 12 pack, and found a wooden construction stake to break them on a steel poolside table and a Holiday Inn. It really does not get better than fresh claws, cold beer and breezy sunset across the water. (like the life of Turbo) Great end to a long day. I got home and wrote a report and recommendation: The fleet got approval for uprating the engine power.

Had to eventually dispose of the baggage compartment floor carpet to get rid of the seafood smell that appeared a few days later. :eek:

-Stormy

In the back of the cockpit of single seat F-15's there is an open area where you could put stuff if you needed to carry something with you. Most of the time it was a B-4 bag (suitcase). Years ago a guy thought it would be a good idea to bring some fresh shrimp back to his squadron. So on the way home to his base he put a large bag of shrimp back there. Plastic bags being what they are, the bag broke and shrimp went everywhere. Smelled pretty bad but the worst part of this story was the longeron replacement for unusual corrosion issues months later at the depot (WRALC).

Lobster

In USAF pilot training 74-01 class at Moody AFB, Ga, we had T-38 cross counties setup. A new-Englander student persuaded his IP to head up to Maine with a cargo pod under the T-38, which resembles a drop tank/bomb but hauls a suitcase or two.

They loaded up on fresh lobster and seaweed for the 'short' trip back to Moody where a Squadron Lobster event was planned. After takeoff, a mechanical forced a divert. To preserve the precious and expensive cargo,they got a room with a frig and transported all the live lobsters over until the T-38 was repaired. Then, back to the flight line to load up the critters again. Enroute, another mechanical forced them to repeat the exercise. They were so disgusted by the time they got back to Moody that they never wanted to see/handle another lobster again.

Tony's Seafood for Boiled Crawfish

Baton Rouge (BTR) is just about 1.5 miles north of Tony's Seafood. You can load up your baggage compartment with boiled crawfish. Better get plenty. A serious crawfish eater can peel and eat 5 lbs in about an hour. Since I got old and slow 2 lbs is enough for me. John

Back