What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps when tied down outside

jaydenchow

I'm New Here
Flaps up or down when you are tied down outside? I have seen both, is there a right or a wrong? Thoughts?

I hope I didn't just start a fight ;)

Flaps up or down when you are tied down outside? I have seen both, is there a right or a wrong? Thoughts?

I hope I didn't just start a fight ;)
I usually park flaps down, to discourage passengers (and me!) from stepping on them when de-planing or boarding. But if there were any chance of high winds (or prop blasts) I sometimes re-enter the cockpit and raise the flaps before walking away.

I do flaps up. While some planes lIke the Husky, Murphy, or some pipers, the flaps can bang down and back up, the RV flaps are rigidly held in their up position. Plus if the wind is trying to make the plane “fly”, flaps down would produce more lift during a headwind.

Parked outside on some random airport - Up. Requires a higher wind to lift the plane with them up, and you avoid the risk of a passer-by leaning on the lowered flap and popping the leading edge out from behind the wing upper skin.

Parked short term while I go in for lunch, or parked in my hangar - Down, so nobody stands on one getting in and out.

If parked where people will be looking inside (airshow, fly-in): down. That way they are not leaning against the flap to look inside. And then they can bang their cameras against the fuselage.....:mad::rolleyes: Leaving her tied down and parked for a longer period of time: up for the above-stated reasons: less lift. These are great wing airfoils that start to fly at a low airspeed (read windspeed...).

Attachments

• img797ac.jpg
    13.3 MB · Views: 55
Sure there are reasons for both flaps up and down.
Last year I parked outside in very strong winds and tied down to concrete blocks higher than the trailing edge flaps down. The airplane moved and there was a good chance to have the flaps damaged. So my takeaway was to also consider how is the airplane tied down - in this special case with concrete blocks and strong winds I´ll go flaps up.

I’m also in the flaps down group… I also don’t think that one way or the other is correct “Every time”. That said I can’t recall ever leaving my flaps up for parking, and my plane has been flying for 14 years now. I’ve even been through several of the regular Oshkosh storms, and Lucky enough not to have any damage. (I was parked tail into the wind for the Oshkosh storms, and have good gust locks)

Flaps up for me, for two reasons. One, less likelihood of a gust being able to lift the tail. Second, the builder of my plane fabricated a control lock that slots up in between the flap and aileron, and requires the flap to be up for installation.

On the way home with my RV-4 the first week I bought it, I made a quick fuel stop. It was windy so I raised its manual flaps. Coming out of the office after paying for the fuel, I found the flaps down. Some student pilots had put enough weight on the flaps while trying to sneak a look in the cockpit, that the lever slipped out of the detent and down they went. Since then, even with my newer RV-6, I leave the flaps down unless I'm stopped long enough to put the canopy cover on. Seems there's much less incentive for strangers to climb on the wing if the canopy cover is on.

On the way home with my RV-4 the first week I bought it, I made a quick fuel stop. It was windy so I raised its manual flaps. Coming out of the office after paying for the fuel, I found the flaps down. Some student pilots had put enough weight on the flaps while trying to sneak a look in the cockpit, that the lever slipped out of the detent and down they went. Since then, even with my newer RV-6, I leave the flaps down unless I'm stopped long enough to put the canopy cover on. Seems there's much less incentive for strangers to climb on the wing if the canopy cover is on.
You could put a chain-link fence and flashing warning lights around a plane, and some people would still screw around and mess with it. The stories are legion.

Why some people think it's okay to put their hands, feet, purses, bags, food, kids, etc., on someone else's property continues to mystify me. I have a classic car, and they do the same thing. I've always wanted to ask them if it'd be okay if I felt up their wife or girlfriend. No? Not okay? Then don't touch *MY* things. :)

You could put a chain-link fence and flashing warning lights around a plane, and some people would still screw around and mess with it. The stories are legion.
I was at a fly-in once and, while standing in front of SuzieQ talking to some folks, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the wings suddenly started rocking. I looked over to see an older kid walking away and I said 'DON'T TOUCH THE AIRPLANES!!' He said: Well, it said NO PUSH and I wanted to see what happened when you did.' Good thing I don't carry.....:mad::mad::mad:
Why some people think it's okay to put their hands, feet, purses, bags, food, kids, etc., on someone else's property continues to mystify me. I have a classic car, and they do the same thing.
Don't forget babies. I was at OSH one year and there were two parents changing their kids diaper ON THE HORIZONTAL OF A C-185!! I politely said. Hey, is this your airplane? Of course they said No. I said 'Well, it isn't a diaper-changing station and you should get your things and baby off of there before the owner comes back. I hear he's not nice to people who touch his pride and joy!' They gave me the 'Who do you think you are?' look and continued on changing. I said: 'well, let's see if EAA security will be as nice as I am.' THEN they moved.....:mad::mad::mad::mad:
I've always wanted to ask them if it'd be okay if I felt up their wife or girlfriend. No? Not okay? Then don't touch *MY* things. :)
I need to remember that. I'm old enough I don't care what they think anymore.........🤣🤣

I need to remember that. I'm old enough I don't care what they think anymore.........🤣🤣
I'm approaching that age as well. :D

You handled that situation nicely. I might not have been so polite. This is my biggest concern for the Airshow this coming Easter weekend... people touching. Fingers crossed we don't have any issues.

Parked outside on some random airport - Up. Requires a higher wind to lift the plane

with them up, and you avoid the risk of a passer-by leaning on the lowered flap and popping the leading edge out from behind the wing upper skin.

Now, THIS is the greatest risk that i have encountered.
And if you don't catch it before raising flaps (passenger bumps it getting in AFTER you have done preflight), then you can damage the skin!

Parked short term while I go in for lunch, or parked in my hangar - Down, so nobody stands on one getting in and out.

Back