What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flange on end of wing/use of "batwing" wing tips

0302lj

Have this "bracket/flange" on the end of the wing tip....I have the Vans "bat wing" (W-715-1) wing tip...but the top and bottom of the flange is in the way.

Looking for suggestions from those that have navigated through this (have reached out to Vans,,,,assuming they are a bit consumed at this point)

Attachments

• wing tip bracket.jpg
    wing tip bracket.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 80
The standard RV-6(A) wing spar has always been slightly longer than what is needed for the purpose of making a tab that extends beyond the outboard most ribs so that there is something to use to mount the outboard end of the wing into the building fixture.
During the wing build, the top and bottom flange portions of the extension were supposed to be cut away, leaving only a tab portion of the spar web which wont interfere with wing tip installation (the standard horner tips would have the same problem you are having with the sheared tips).
My recommendation at this point would be to remove enough of the rivets to allow lifting the corners of the two skins enough to carefully cut way the flanges with a cutting disc in a dremal.

Last edited:
Stainless

Also, find a section of stainless. I have a piece about the size of a credit card I use for jobs like that. Slip it in between. Just in case the dremel slips, it won't hit anything.

The standard RV-6(A) wing spar has always been slightly longer than what is needed for the purpose of making a tab that extends beyond the outboard most ribs so that there is something to use to mount the outboard end of the wing into the building fixture.
During the wing build, the top and bottom flange portions of the extension were supposed to be cut away, leaving only a tab portion of the spar web which wont interfere with wing tip installation (the standard horner tips would have the same problem you are having with the sheared tips).
My recommendation at this point would be to remove enough of the rivets to allow lifting the corners of the two skins enough to carefully cut way the flanges with a cutting disc in a dremal.

got it...thanks!

Back