What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixture to paint control surfaces.

cajunwings

Well Known Member
Surely someone has gone down this road before. No luck with various forum searches. Need ideas on building a simple rotating fixture to hold the rudder and elevators so they can be painted horizontally. I have some thoughts, but overkill could be my middle name.

Saw this rig holding a hood on one of the high end auto paint shop sites.
. IMG_9048.jpeg

I did something more simple by laying the control surfaces flat on the table and support it with some small boxes to raise it off the table surface and spray. After the paint had dried, I flip it over and spray the other side. Not fast, but they came out OK

This is just for the control surfaces, but I put some tent peg pins (thick wire) through the hinge points and mounted to some saw horses. This allowed me to rotate the pieces and spray both sides at 1 time.
I sprayed the vertical surfaces standing vertical.

Attachments

• IMG_5109.jpeg
    IMG_5109.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
This is just for the control surfaces, but I put some tent peg pins (thick wire) through the hinge points and mounted to some saw horses. This allowed me to rotate the pieces and spray both sides at 1 time.
I sprayed the vertical surfaces standing vertical.

Here's the jig I used for the elevators. The horn tube was loosely clamped to a wood support and the outboard hinge point was hung from a wire. The elevator horn rested against a wood strip to hold the elevator horizontal. A second wood strip supported the horn when the elevator was flipped over. The two strips stick up like a 'V' in the picture. It was easy to pull the elevator to disengage the horn, turn it over and push it back to rest the horn on the other strip. You can also see how the stab could be rotated, it was just held to the wood sawhorse at the center hinge point.
Stewart Willoughby, 6

Attachments

• 20200703_093918.jpg
    20200703_093918.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 57
What I did for the recent 12 Painting. On wing stand just added a top bar and hung stabilizer and flaperons from it.

Attachments

• IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3948.jpeg
    IMG_3948.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Back