What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight, again: RV-7A morphed to RV-7

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
After 4 1/2 months, I finally was able to fly again, following my TW conversion.

It had taken much longer than I anticipated, due to a mismatch of the new gear leg to an older engine mount. Prior to 10/2004, the mounts were match drilled to the gear . Following 10/2004, all are jig match drilled to standarize the fit. My issue resulted in an extreme tow out in which I had to oversize drill the gear leg to correct the tow out. Also, the cowling had to be trimmed to remove 1/2" from the aft end which required a whole lot of re-aligning of the cowl & hinge.

It's great to be back flying again. I received my TW endorsement yesterday and will join the ranks of the TW group.

Most landings were uneventful, but I still need to work on the xwind landings.

Interesting in that I've noticed is that the main gear is bit noisy compared to the tricycle gear. I figure it's probably due to the mains being more forward and can be heard versus the tricylcle gear was under the wing.
But, I don't hear or feel any nose gear shimmy. :rolleyes:

Just think, you won't have to worry about getting a flat NW!

Congrats on the endorsement and the conversion.

Don't worry about the X-wind thing. After you get comfortable with the TW, you won't even give cross winds a second thought.

Just don?t taxi into any trailers.

Dan, I hope to make Triple Tree. It is a bit questionable right now between the DNC shutting down the Charlotte Airspace and my wife leaving that Saturday morning for a CE class in TX I'm not sure sure when or if I'll make it.

Congrats on pulling it off, Dan. It is no small accomplishment.

Thanks David. I remember discussing it with you almost 4 years ago about my interest in the change & asked for your advice at the time.

Best of luck to you with your 8.

Last edited:
Back