What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Fuel Pump Doubler

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I was happily following the Van's instructions and plans for the firewall, only to stumble on the fact that the fuel pump doubler they say to make for the firewall is not necessary for injected engine setups, which I will have. Maybe I should have known, but it just didn't click since the instructions don't give any indication that it's not always a necessary part.

I already have all of the holes drilled for the doubler (including the two big bolt holes). Should I just carry on and down the road put bolts in the holes to close them up, or is that firewall location usable space for something else and it would be best to make a new, blank doubler to cover up the bolt holes in the firewall?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 88
If it was mine, I would just put bolts in those holes to close them up in case you have a need in the future.

As Scott says, leave it as it is. You will almost certainly find a use for the bolts later... maybe to hold a bracket or a P-Clamp etc.

As Scott says, leave it as it is. You will almost certainly find a use for the bolts later... maybe to hold a bracket or a P-Clamp etc.

The plans call for the nutplates to be on the fore side of the firewall. Better future utility to flip them around and put them on the aft side instead?

The plans call for the nutplates to be on the fore side of the firewall. Better future utility to flip them around and put them on the aft side instead?

I completely agree with this one if the nut plates haven’t been installed yet. Install them on the aft side. You will probably find a use for those easily accessed bolts on the forward side of the firewall.

I did the same thing even though I planned to have fuel injection. That's where I have my fuel line go through the firewall from the boost pump out to the engine.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm going to rivet it on as-is, but just wait to attach the nutplates until I figure out what will end up in that location. That will leave the option open for flipping the nutplates from one side of the firewall to the other.

Firewall doubler

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm going to rivet it on as-is, but just wait to attach the nutplates until I figure out what will end up in that location. That will leave the option open for flipping the nutplates from one side of the firewall to the other.

Take a look at the penetration for the fuel line. Several of us have expressed concerns over the proximity to the starter side of the starter contactor. Had I checked, I probably would have relocated it to that doubler. That's the side that feeds the mechanical fuel pump.

Back