What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall drawings

Spinner99

I'm New Here
Hi there

Where does one start if you want to use an alternative engine for an RV? Especially if its not the 'standard' alternative engine? Are the firewall drawings available apart from Van's?

Thanks!

First thing is to search these forums for existing threads on the same topic. Go up to the menu bar, click on search, and enter in some keywords like alternate engine. Pull up your chair, a cup of coffee, and enjoy a couple of hours reading.

There's a great deal of information on this forum if you know how to search for it. There are also some extremely knowledgable people who post here whom you can contact directly depending upon your specific needs. Check out the results of the search and see if that doesn't at least give you a start. Welcome aboard.

Searching!

Thanks Randy

Good Advice, I've been searching for hours already.
Something's sure to pop up, problem is there's so much other interesting stuff to read, I wish I could open up new tabs in my brain! :eek:

Spinner,

Since talking about alternative engines on this forum is such a touchy subject, you are probably better off looking for info in other places on the internet. There are a ton of forums on Yahoo and other non-VAF sites.

There is some good info here, but even mentioning alternative engines usually just attracts people who want to criticize those who would venture beyond the security of a Lyco. In fact, having said that, you are almost guaranteed to see half-a-dozen Lyco-lovers pounce on me within the first hour for offering this observation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that you ignore any info that you find here. Installing an alternative engine is not for the timid. You very well could get ki1lled. Keep this in mind when looking for which alternative to use. Know your limitations, and figure out your goals.

Cheers,
Tracy.

*pounces on Tracy* (Sorry, couldn't resist):D

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with alternative engines even though I went the 'Lyclone' route myself. But if it's a really odd engine, chances are you will have to do your own engineering and drawings. Again, I don't see that as a huge problem; I used a standard motor mount but all the rest of the firewall stuff was cut-to-fit. I basically used Van's drawings as a hint but did my own because Van's does not have drawings for my FWF equipment. So, my best recommendation to you is to start with the Tony Bingelis books On Engines and Firewall Forward. With luck, too, you will find someone who has done something similar and can give you more specific guidance. It might help if you revealed what engine you are thinking of (though, as Tracy alludes, you may need a thick skin to get past all the nay-sayers.)

Thanks to all of you for risking being 'pounced', I appreciate your friendly advice!
I am not going to risk putting out what engine at this stage, but I will risk asking for two things: I really want to get an R4 and R10 firewall dwgs with the bolt centers. I'm using Inventor and I just want to start playing with some ideas that I can model in 3D. Even if someone can pm where to find such info. pleese? :eek:

Back