What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final Report N284RM

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
Date & Time: May 24, 2021, 13:30 Local Registration: N284RM
Aircraft: Munson Roger J RV-8 Aircraft Damage: Destroyed
Defining Event: Loss of engine power (total) Injuries: 1 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation - Personal

Analysis: During a cross-country flight at cruise altitude, the pilot reported a loss of engine oil pressure and loss of engine power to air traffic control and subsequently performed a forced landing to a field. The airplane impacted the ground and the wreckage was partially consumed by a post impact fire.

Examination of the wreckage revealed oil staining on a portion of the horizontal stabilizer and broken pieces of the windscreen that were found at the site. Examination of the engine revealed that with the exception of the oil sump, which had been partially consumed by the postimpact fire, the crankcase, cylinders were intact, and continuity of the crankshaft and valvetrain were confirmed. The examination also found that an oil line connecting the engine to an aftermarket oil valve had separated, though it could not be determined if the separation occurred prior to, or as a result of the airplane’s impact with the ground. Overall, the engine did not display signatures consistent with a catastrophic loss of engine power and accompanying breach of the engine crankcase. Given the pilot’s report of a loss of oil pressure (and loss of engine power), and the oil staining observed on the wreckage, it is likely that such a failure was imminent. Given the extent of the fire damage to the engine, the reason for the loss of oil pressure could not be determined.

A review of the pilot’s pathological information revealed the presence of ethanol, which was most likely from postmortem production rather than ingestion. Therefore, the presence of ethanol did not contribute to the circumstances of the accident.

Probable Cause and Findings: The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be -- A loss of engine power due to loss of engine oil pressure.

[Note: Links in a later post to this thread to the entire report package]

Last edited:
What external oil valve is this? I'm not a mechanic but I don't remember my RV8 having one :

"The examination also found that an oil line connecting the engine to an aftermarket oil valve had separated..."

What external oil valve is this? I'm not a mechanic but I don't remember my RV8 having one

From the report:

One of the oil lines connecting the engine to an aftermarket oil valve was broken at the attachment fitting, but due to the fire damage, it could not be determined if the failure occurred before or after ground impact. The oil valve itself was also fire damaged. The engine’s oil sump was partially consumed by the post-impact fire.

A review of a maintenance logbook excerpt revealed that the oil valve had been “resealed” on March 25, 2021.The oil valve (Christen 802) was part of an accessory kit for Lycoming engines that provided normal engine lubrication with minimal oil loss during aerobatic flight. It functioned as a self-contained extension of the normal engine oil and breather systems.

Learnings

What's the takeaway from this sad event?
The probable cause of the forced landing was loss of oil pressure. The engine was not seized, though. The landing was hard enough to tear off the undercarriage and shatter the canopy.
Cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries.
I wonder if the oil on the canopy obstructed visibility?
I must more regularly practice simulated forced landings...:(

I agree, this report is sadly lacking in detail. Somehow it goes from ‘a forced landing to a field’ to leaving ‘an impact crater’, with no explanation.

Sadly the report is about as good as it’s going to get. The NTSB simply does not have the time to investigate GA accidents unless it’s a VIP or lands in a school. It would be interesting to understand what nav equipment he had onboard. If the aircraft was at 9000 ft with a airport at 3 miles you would think the report would comment on that. The ADSB logs show a very different picture and certainly deserved a look by the investigator.

Last edited:
Lessons from a poor outcome.....

What's the takeaway from this sad event?

I must more regularly practice simulated forced landings...:(

Yes. We all need to do that. About once a month I am out "landing in a field" somewhere. In the Cub, I can actually land in that field! :pPracticing engine out procedures helps to establish muscle memory and keeps the EMERGENCY CHECK LIST in our heads rather than just on our kneeboard. Most of my practice landings are good ones. Some of them I would have taken out the fence as I would have landed short. I know where on the airplane those places line up that are in my gliding range. Glide circle on my GPS? Don't even have that feature. Looking at that would take my mind off of looking for the place I am going to land...on the ground out there somewhere! SuzieQ has a panel that I really like as I have flown behind it for quite a while. Steam gauges? You bet! That big old 3.25" ASI is at the top left of my "stack" and is VERY easy to find and see! How quickly do your eyes go to yours on your glass panel? That would be good to practice! And AOA if you have it. Did I mention PRACTICE yet?

I recently had some valve-sticking problems in the Cub and got to experience partial power failures for real...yes, more than once. (Since been remedied, by the way!) I didn't get to the ground with any of them but was pleased with my emergency procedures flow. Except shutting down everything (including turning fuel off) as I was never on "final approach" with any of them. The engine fired back up before I got there. :) The one instrument I kept glancing at was the airspeed. I did well on all of them because I have PRACTICED.

This accident is a sad event, as they all are, especially when we lose one of our own. But it should serve to make us more aware that it can happen to ANY of us and getting good at making it to terra firma in one piece should be high on our priority list. There was a thread recently where someone mentioned knowing pilots who had not practiced engine out procedures since being a student. Hmmmmmmm.....

I was struck by how the pilot was unable to find and land at an airport three miles away from an altitude of 9000'. Perhaps if the pilot had maintained better situational awareness of nearby airports as the flight progressed the outcome could have been different? Yes, loss of the engine would definitely be a stressor but still........

I was struck by how the pilot was unable to find and land at an airport three miles away from an altitude of 9000'. Perhaps if the pilot had maintained better situational awareness of nearby airports as the flight progressed the outcome could have been different? Yes, loss of the engine would definitely be a stressor but still........

The ADSB data does not reflect he was at 9000 feet. The report should have addressed that data.

Attachments

• 5E1ACD18-4ECB-49C0-A033-1B2F36F3C7A7.jpeg
    5E1ACD18-4ECB-49C0-A033-1B2F36F3C7A7.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Perhaps it's because the pilot appeared to be very low-time. From the report:
"Pilot Information

Flight Time: (Estimated) 200 hours (Total, all aircraft), 10 hours (Last 90 days, all aircraft)"​

FWIW, here are the accident photos:

View attachment Investigative Photos FA229-Rel.pdf

Last edited:
... Perhaps if the pilot had maintained better situational awareness of nearby airports as the flight progressed the outcome could have been different? Yes, loss of the engine would definitely be a stressor but still........

I think this is the main takeaway - the engine can fail at any time - be sure to have a plan.

Comments

The photos show the remains more or less level.
No evidence or comment on location of main gear.
Tailwheel is relatively intact.
Airplane is described as tricycle gear??
Cause of death multiple blunt force injuries, no comment on smoke inhalation
Field was not great looking but not impossible.
Multiple issues with location in respect to Jackson and other airports.
The crash location appears to be well north of Jackson so how was Jackson at 2 oclock and 3 miles??

Aircraft came down about 3 miles ftom KJKL. He was NNW of the airport when he turned. You can see the airport on the ADSB plot.

No evidence or comment on location of main gear.

This pic shows what appears to be one of the wheels. But we don't know if that's where it ended up at the time of the crash, or was moved there afterwards.

i-F95KTNP-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Wheel

Looks like the landing gear still attached to the wheel. Does that look like part of a wheel pant in front of the right wing?

Questions....

This pic shows what appears to be one of the wheels. But we don't know if that's where it ended up at the time of the crash, or was moved there afterwards.

i-F95KTNP-XL.jpg

And a wheel fairing in front of the right wing.....:confused:

Canopy

There is apparently also a piece of canopy plexi showing in Photo 2 lower left corner.

Also visible in Photo 4 is the (unburned) canopy frame, laying behind the right elevator. Zooming in to the original dossier picture, it can be seen that it is partially broken and also not perfectly transparent. So I really wonder if the pilot could not see out properly because the windscreen and canopy were fogged with oil?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907-080453_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907-080453_Drive.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
Back