What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experience with Air Avionics AT-1 Mode S traffic avoidance system?

https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=253

I'm flying in a country where ADS-B isn't really a thing. There is no mandate so small planes don't install them. However almost everyone flies with Mode S by law except for some ultralights that do local flights.

The way i understand it the system tracks time difference between ping and response of Mode S transponders and estimates the physical distance. There is no directional data at all just proximity and altitude. This is obviously not as good as ADS-B (which this receiver also does) but maybe better than nothing.

Is anyone using this system?

Anything on the market in the same price range? Did some research and the next best thing is a $10,000 active directional tracker from Garmin. The AT-1 costs $2500.

Last edited:
Very pleased

Jan

I’ve been using the AT-1 for the past 6 months. I’m very pleased with the way it works. The advantage for me here in Europe is that it will detect gliders using flarm and also transmit flarm back.
Flarm and ADSB traffic show on the G3X map and mode S traffic show as a ring but it does give a height difference and approximate distance. It also can display on my iPad at the same time.
I mounted 2 internal antenna and one external on the lower fuselage.

In my other aircraft I use the SkyEcho with my iPad which is a cheaper option but whilst it can receive flarm doesn’t transmit. It receives ADSB but not basic mode S.

The other RV-10 I occasionally fly has the Garmin system which will detect mode c and s as well as ADSB but not flarm. Works well but is 5 times the price.

Regards Peter

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's worth it. There's another system that's even cheaper if you don't need the full FLARM license: Funke TM350 ($1800).

Jan

Just looking at the TM350 and it seems to detect most aircraft however it doesn’t say on their website if it can display on the Garmin which was why I really like the AT-1.
If your already using an iPad or planning on having a separate traffic display then this might not be an issue.

Regards Peter

Most of us in Central Europe use some kind of Flarm or PowerFlarm. Almost all the gliders flying the Alps are equipped, and paragliders are installing the system too.

I have an AT-1, and ADSB in/out, and get most boogies picked up (but for the stealth flyers…).
Can’t certify for sure, but think that my AT-1 saved my bacon twice, as in very close encounters. The head-on warning is a brilliant feature. And I have a separate display for the Flarm, part of my normal scanning pattern.

Most RVs around here are also equipped, and we found out that the positioning of the antennas, specifically the 2 Flarm ones, is very important. Ideally one would want them enclosed and not sticking out in the breeze… my ship has one on the lower engine baffle, the other one attached to my brace tube inside the canopy.
One local RV-14 has pretty good results having installed one in each wingtip.
As depicted in the install manual, each antenna emits what is kind of a spherical signal, and the system being very low power, any kind of obstruction, save for acryl/plastic, will affect the signal.

In a nutshell, I don’t feel quite at ease when fly some others airplanes not being equipped with any kind of Flarm system…

Back