What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust paint.

Python

Hi , My Engine is being o/ h at the moment and I’m looking at cleaning up my “firewall forward, “ as part of this I’m looking at some options for my exhaust pipe. 1) sand blast & paint with flat black heat proof paint.
2) sand blast & ceramic coat.
3) sand blast & powder coat.( not sure if this will take the heat).
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. ?
Regards 🐍.

I have had excellent experience and seen great results with ceramic coating.

All three RVs have had ceramic coated exhaust.

Pretty sure that powder coat will not work. Ceramic based paint is more likely to hold up. Suggest looking into the specialized stuff that has insulating properties. If you can keep the exh temps up, the velocity stays high and this creates an increase in the scavaging and can up your power by a small amount.
The biggest benefit comes from putting it on the inside of the pipe, but have heard that some benefit still exists when put on the outside.

Larry

Hi , My Engine is being o/ h at the moment and I’m looking at cleaning up my “firewall forward, “ as part of this I’m looking at some options for my exhaust pipe. 1) sand blast & paint with flat black heat proof paint.

The practical choice is bare stainless.

Blasting will reduce crack resistance, and any coating will make the crack difficult to repair without more blasting.

Vetterman’s advice has always been against wraps or coatings - just bare metal - for the longest system life. That’s all I’ve ever done, and never had an issue.

Back