What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfellner H6 info needed

litewings

I have the task of doing a condition inspection on a RV9A with an H6 installed. Looking for any info, drawings, parts diagrams, instructions for the gearbox in particular. Need to identify if its a gen 3 and how its put together. Plan on removal and disassembly for inspection. Any help and info greatly appreciated. Current owner is not the builder and does not have much for documentation.

You should get the owner to join the Subenews Yahoo group. They have complete info, tutorials, Service Bulletins, updates, fixes and other help to support these installations. There are several SBs on these gearboxes and inspections are a good idea.

I will second Ross's suggestion that the owner join the Subenews Yahoo group, which can be found at
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/subenews/

This is a great group of people and an irreplaceable source of information for owning an Eggenfellner package.

There is also a bunch of information on the Subenews Wiki, most of it is public and does not need a password, including how to do a compression check, gearbox inspection with teardown videos, etc:

http://subenews.deej.net/

-Dj

Still needing info

Have requested membership to the Yahoo group about a week ago. No replies from the moderator. I still need info. Anyone have Gen III gearbox service info? Rear seal # and replacement procedures? Bolt torque specs?

Have requested membership to the Yahoo group about a week ago. No replies from the moderator. I still need info. Anyone have Gen III gearbox service info? Rear seal # and replacement procedures? Bolt torque specs?

Hi Frank,
The info you are looking for should be on the Subenews Wiki:

http://subenews.deej.net/

The Yahoo group does not have this technical info - it is just used as a mailing list for owners to communicate with each other. Membership to the Yahoo group is limited to individuals that actually own an Eggenfellner engine package. Who is the owner of the aircraft? Is she/he a member of the Subenews Yahoo group? If not, please encourage them to join.

-Dj

Thanks for the heads up on that. I have read most of the info at the subenews wiki site. time to just get into it and use standard torque specs for the fasteners.

I just read through the Gen III gearbox pdf and it contained this comment:

"As with all gearboxes, a fine metallic “slush” or paste is not necessarily a problem."

I would strongly disagree that metal paste is acceptable in a gearbox after the break-in period. In fact if the gears are high quality, proper hardness, and isotropically finished, then no metal paste would be acceptable. The exception would be if there are slipping plates, rubbing surfaces or shift dogs in the box to generate the material.

I hope this gearbox contains a strong magnet to collect any metal particles so that they are removed from the flow path.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion as I would not be comfortable with this condition. With careful & regular inspections and tracking of collected material, you may have a safe and adequate life of this gearbox. Just do your homework and pay close attention, don't just accept this on face value.

Last edited:
Back