What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ALL FOUR HAVE SOLD. ECI Titan Cylinders (X4)

Jack Beck

We just completed a top overhaul on our RV-9A which runs behind an O-320-D2A built for us by AeroSport Power. So, we are making a set of used ECI Titan cylinders available. They were first run in August of 2009 and have 1245 hours (hobbs) on them. All have been refreshed once. The engine was built by AeroSport Power with cylinder assembly kits TISN04.OX18CA. Serial numbers are as follows: #1 54582-16, #2 51948-11, #3 51846-25, #4 51848-07. We are asking $ 500 per cylinder (shipping paid by purchaser). We can include pistons as well (AEL75089), but purchaser will need to evaluate their usability. Send me a PM with your email and I am happy to send photos of each cylinder (#4 shown below), photos of work orders and yellow tags of refresh done by Popular Grove (#4 in 2026 at 723 hobbs hours and #1-3 in 2019 at 913 hobbs hours.
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310 SM.jpg
IMG_2311SM.jpg

IMG_2311SM.jpg
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310 SM.jpg

Last edited:
When you say "refreshed once" are you saying that you've taken the cylinders off once and had them re-honed and put new rings and pistons back in the cylinders? And why would they need to be refreshed in only 1245 hours TT? Did they not break in correctly and had to be cleaned up?

Thanks,
Aden

When you say "refreshed once" are you saying that you've taken the cylinders off once and had them re-honed and put new rings and pistons back in the cylinders? And why would they need to be refreshed in only 1245 hours TT? Did they not break in correctly and had to be cleaned up?

Thanks,
Aden
Fair question, Aden. We pulled them on both occassions because of valve concerns. In the first instance, we burned an intake valve. In the second, we had an exhaust valve going on one of the remaining three, so we elected to pull the rest and send them in for a look. The necessary valve work was done, the cylinder barrels were rehoned, and we were able to reuse the same pistons.

I should add that we elected to top overhaul the engine with new cylinders because we wanted to have a set of cylinders that was going to take us to TBO and beyond. Given the number of hours we fly per year and the number of years we have left to fly, we elected to top the engine now rather than wait.

I should add that we elected to top overhaul the engine with new cylinders because we wanted to have a set of cylinders that was going to take us to TBO and beyond. Given the number of hours we fly per year and the number of years we have left to fly, we elected to top the engine now rather than wait.
These cylinders are of a vintage from the future. You said "first run" in 2029
Now I just had a birthday and turned 73 as of April 5 2024
Those are something from the future for sure.
BUT my luck varies FIXIT

These cylinders are of a vintage from the future. You said "first run" in 2029
Now I just had a birthday and turned 73 as of April 5 2024
Those are something from the future for sure.
BUT my luck varies FIXIT
Yep, just playing with time!! Of course, it should be 2009. Fix made.

I had a set of cylinders from ECI in that time range. I got a letter from them when they were having some issues with head fitment on the barrel. Have you checked these cylinders against their AD? I am guessing that if you've been flying with them, that answer is probably yes, but it doesn't hurt to find out. I have an IO-320 I am rebuilding and need some cylinders but I've been burned before trying to overhaul items to save money and ended up spending more in the long run than ordering new. IF the cylinders have cracks in the exhaust port areas, common to a lot of Lycoming/clone cylinders, then you get some parts (valves) maybe out of them and then you are spending a lot of $$. You probably don't want to spend the time to have them checked? I have new pistons, wrist pins, gasket kits, rocker arm shafts, rockers and such. Need some good cores with good valves to make it work.

I had a set of cylinders from ECI in that time range. I got a letter from them when they were having some issues with head fitment on the barrel. Have you checked these cylinders against their AD? I am guessing that if you've been flying with them, that answer is probably yes, but it doesn't hurt to find out. I have an IO-320 I am rebuilding and need some cylinders but I've been burned before trying to overhaul items to save money and ended up spending more in the long run than ordering new. IF the cylinders have cracks in the exhaust port areas, common to a lot of Lycoming/clone cylinders, then you get some parts (valves) maybe out of them and then you are spending a lot of $$. You probably don't want to spend the time to have them checked? I have new pistons, wrist pins, gasket kits, rocker arm shafts, rockers and such. Need some good cores with good valves to make it work.
Hi Aden,
I understand your concern. When the AD came out, I check and confirmed they were not on the list. But I also included the serial numbers in the original post so that folks could see that they are outside the range of the affected cylinders. I am also aware of the most likey locations for both Lycoming/ECI cylinders to crack. We have checked them regularly during our annual condition inspection and I checked them again visually doing my due dilligence to be sure that I did not pass along a problem cylinder to someone else. So far as I can tell, there are no cracks in the cylinders. Compression checks have been solid mid seventies or better (cold) with the exception of the one instance when I had an intake valve fail. Let me know if there is addition photographs or information that I could send. I have the maintenance summaries from the experience each has had at Poplar Grove and additional photographs to share.

Back