What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Earthx ETX-900-VNT in RV-6

RVDan

Well Known Member
Patron
My -6 has had the standard Vans battery box with a Concord RG25 battery. My Concord died and I am retrofitting the ETX-900-VNT to the same location. If anyone else has done this, did you use the original battery box, and if so how did you secure the battery inside? If not what did you do? Also if you used the vented battery how did you route the vents?

Thanks,

My -6 has had the standard Vans battery box with a Concord RG25 battery. My Concord died and I am retrofitting the ETX-900-VNT to the same location. If anyone else has done this, did you use the original battery box, and if so how did you secure the battery inside? If not what did you do? Also if you used the vented battery how did you route the vents?

Thanks,

Dan:

What does this lighter weight battery do to your Weigh and Balance / C.G. ?

I have not gone this route as my baggage capacity drops too much.

I keep going back to the lower cost Concorde AGM-1234T that is the same as the aircraft battery with battery terminals reversed at half the price of the aircraft battery.

Last edited:
The ETX900 will ALMOST fit in the original battery box - not quite close enough to squeeze it in. You'll need to purchase the ETX battery box and switch it out.

I've been running the ETX900 in my 9A (360) for 8 years next month and 1540 hours so far, you won't be disappointed.

Per Kathy at EarthX:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1697317&postcount=18

"In October of 2022, the EarthX "E" cased batteries (ETX680, ETX900, ETX900-VNT, ETX1200) went on a diet and lost 2.5mm in the width dimension so it will fit easily in all of the Van's RV boxes, regardless of which one you have (as there are multiple ones over the years). We also did this because there is a battery box in the GA market that also needed our battery to be a bit thinner too.
If in doubt, please reach out as we are always happy to assist you."

Last edited:
The ETX900 will ALMOST fit in the original battery box - not quite close enough to squeeze it in. You'll need to purchase the ETX battery box and switch it out.

I've been running the ETX900 in my 9A (360) for 8 years next month and 1540 hours so far, you won't be disappointed.

Where is it mounted? I’m curious about where to run the vents if I put one in my -4.. I don’t want it mounted in the cockpit without venting it..

To answer a few points- I have an IO360 and CS prop. I checked the CG change and it is still good for as much weight in the baggage as my GW will allow except for single pilot empty fuel. Then, I just put stuff in the other seat.

The older style RV-6 battery box that fits the Concord RG25 is much larger than the ETX 900. I think there were later -6’s set up for the 680 battery which is smaller.

The problem with the original battery box is connecting the vents and then installing the box around the vents and with the main power leads connected.

Where is it mounted? I’m curious about where to run the vents if I put one in my -4.. I don’t want it mounted in the cockpit without venting it..

I mounted mine behind the baggage compartment, with the vent lines running down through the belly skin, using a static-port type penetration drilled out to a larger diameter.

What about your install?
Did you lower the Alternator charging limits? 13.8volts?
Did you run the LED light to your panel. for the BMS?
Do you heat it on cold day?
Anything else unique?

I have installed a compact EarthX in our experimental CUB without a charging system and learning a lot about the details. They want it charged when down to 13.28V....ours seems to come off charger at 14.2. So that is only 1 volt drop.
So curious what life is like in a normal charging system?
Thanks

What about your install?
Did you lower the Alternator charging limits? 13.8volts?
Did you run the LED light to your panel. for the BMS?
Do you heat it on cold day?
Anything else unique?

I have installed a compact EarthX in our experimental CUB without a charging system and learning a lot about the details. They want it charged when down to 13.28V....ours seems to come off charger at 14.2. So that is only 1 volt drop.
So curious what life is like in a normal charging system?
Thanks

I have dual alternators, my primary is a 60 amp B&C set for 14.3 volts, the secondary vacuum pad B&C is set for 13.9 volts. I did run the BMS warning light to my Dynon EMS for the screen indicator, and I heat the engine but not the battery on cold days. I've never had any trouble at all cranking the engine on a cold day, including one +11F cold-soaked start in Williston ND when I did not have power available for a preheat. My Dynon EMS gives me warnings for voltage (over or under), high charge or discharge rates from the battery via the shunt, and the alternator regulators have crowbar overvoltage protection.

ditto what airguy said

It was so close that I was tempted.
I paid for the EarthX specific one, and glad I did. It was shiny stainless (pretty) and padded and insulated.
Daddyman

Back