What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-300 engine

A6M

I'm New Here
Is this engine aerobatic, how heavy is it and when can we get more details? How is it mounted? will it fit RV10? diesel is very attractive.

Jiro

Is this engine aerobatic, how heavy is it and when can we get more details? How is it mounted? will it fit RV10? diesel is very attractive.

Jiro

About 420 lbs. dry, not aerobatic (neither is an RV10 though), over $60K, probably couldn't buy one for an Experimental anyway and under 170hp so not enough for an RV10.

I got reply from Mr Andrew.

" Weight 131kg, does not include the single cooler needed, approx +5kg
The E-300 engine is designed from the start to be fully aerobatic.
The capacity of the V4 is 330 c.i and is rated at 350bhp.
The prop turns 2300rpm at max engine rpm 5300
Fuel is JET and or derivative, the engine will work on diesel. Demonstrated a BSFC of 0.36 lb/hp·h
Price is not decided yet, but it should be competitive with a 540 or 550 type engine"

I think I would like to keep my option open, this is interesting

Jiro

I got reply from Mr Andrew.

" Weight 131kg, does not include the single cooler needed, approx +5kg
The E-300 engine is designed from the start to be fully aerobatic.
The capacity of the V4 is 330 c.i and is rated at 350bhp.
The prop turns 2300rpm at max engine rpm 5300
Fuel is JET and or derivative, the engine will work on diesel. Demonstrated a BSFC of 0.36 lb/hp?h
Price is not decided yet, but it should be competitive with a 540 or 550 type engine"

I think I would like to keep my option open, this is interesting

Jiro

If he can truly keep the dollars per horsepower roughly equivalent, then yes that is an interesting option.

Why do new engine manufacturers charge the same or more than conventional engines when selling an unproven design?

Wouldn't it be better to get a few in service, say for half the price of a Lycoming, and then once the have a proven service history raise the price.

The Jabiru engine is a great example. Expensive to buy, lots of promises, and now questionable engine reliability.

Thought the OP was asking about the Austro AE-300. My apologies.

Long ways to go before this is either in the market or gains wide acceptance after proving itself in the real world. At least ACE turns out real product and has a much better chance of bringing this to market than many other players in the engine field. Certainly an interesting concept and will be looking forward to more info on this design.

Last edited:
Why do new engine manufacturers charge the same or more than conventional engines when selling an unproven design?

Wouldn't it be better to get a few in service, say for half the price of a Lycoming, and then once the have a proven service history raise the price.
I'd guess because (a) they have to start recouping cost at some point, and (b) jacking up the price later might be bad for their reputation.

It's the standard early-adopter model. See Tesla, glass cockpits, etc.

E300 Engine

They now have on their site a drawing of the engine with a RV8 mount showing approx where the engine sits in comparison. I asked for pricing again and they said they cannot release pricing until the launch later this year, but Mr Andrew did say it would be very competitive.
"Dear Jiro,
Thank you for your continued interest in the new E300G/J series of engines. We will be launching sometime later this year and at that time will release the prices. As a guidline and only as a guideline, we will be competitive with the likes of similar horse power products from Lycoming and Continental. Maintenance costs will be considerably lower, we have no TBO, only OCI so cost of ownership will also be very attractive for long term or high use customers. In answer to your other questions, yes we do actually run the engine on JET with spark plugs. All bearings for the crank are rolling elements and the crank drives a quill shaft before driving the torque splitter drive. Electric power is supplied by the two integrated generators on the inside readr face, next to the starters. An optional splined pad for an external 180amp generator is located on the rear accessory case (top right)."

As my intended airccraft is an RV10, I think this will fit and will give me much more range. Does anybody else on this forum know about these people and their engines? Anybody using some of their other parts?

Jiro
Happy Flying

Back