What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon OAT probe mounting

McFly

Well Known Member
I am thinking of mounting my Dynon OAT probe outside of the fuse in the wing root area. I realize that it will not give accurate temps until things stabilize at altitude for a few minutes and I am ok with that. Do these probes have to be flapping in the breeze to get any sort of accuracy? Thanks.

problematic? temps will read high all the time

McFly said:
I am thinking of mounting my Dynon OAT probe outside of the fuse in the wing root area. I realize that it will not give accurate temps until things stabilize at altitude for a few minutes and I am ok with that. Do these probes have to be flapping in the breeze to get any sort of accuracy? Thanks.
McFly I'm pretty sure that's a poor or less desirable location from others experience. The basic rule is get as far away from the HEAT MAKER, ie engine, as possible, which means go out towards the wing tip or towards the tail. Wing root bottom, will be affected by the exhaust and the engine cooling exit all the time. No matter how much you cruise, you will see higher temps than ambient.

From RV-4 experience with the OAT inside NACA scoop on side of the body, temp always read high. The tail area works well, even though its in the slip stream down from the engine, its far enough back mixing has occurred. The lower outboard wing is probably ideal, but EDC location needs to be accounted for. The OAT piggybacks off the EDC, so the OAT needs to be a reasonable distance from the magnetic module. Most put the EDC in the aft fuselage, therefore many put the OAT in the back tail area (access panel). Others put the EDC under the wing, so the logical and convenient OAT probe location is in or near the lower wing access panel or wing tip.

Last edited:
OAT

Since I mounted my remote EMS under the rudder between the horizontal stabs, I mounted mine (RV-8) on the left elev. insp. panel under the elevator. This gives a short run to the DB-9 pin connector. Seems to be far enough aft and mostly in the shade. All TAS speed tests so far have equaled 4 way GPS averages which is close enough for me to rely on it for TAS.

If you choose to mount yours there, make sure your wire service loop is kept WELL CLEAR of the elevator horn bolt and nut.

Back