What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EMS, strange behavier?

Pilottonny

Well Known Member
After some testing and playing with the new installed avionics I needed to top-up the batteries. To be able to monitor the charging and check if the Dynon EMS was working correctly, I connected the battery charger to the alternator side of the AMP-Shunt (alternator not connected yet!).

However, the current on the Dynon EMS goes up and down from 0 to 18 Amp. continuesly, while the Charger shows a steady 8 Amps. After a while, the voltage has gone up a bit, the current keeps going up and down, but now from 1 to 12 Amps. The charger still shows 8 Amps steady.

Why does it do this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind regards, Tonny.

It may be that your charger is a PWM charger- it may be charging the battery by pulsing ~20A into it, then going to 0 for a while, then ~20A again. This is a fine (and efficient) way to charge a battery off the mains.

Since the charger knows it works like this, it can do averaging to show you 8A. The EMS assumes you have a normal system with an alternator, and doesn't average as much.

I wouldn't worry about this behavior. It sounds like everything is working fine.

Appprox 1 hour to reply. Wow!

Wow! Just over an hour, on a sunday and reply from Dynon! Great service! I guess I will forget about this, till I "start-er-up" for the first time, with the alternator running and hope to see everything is OK.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards, Tonny

Back