What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling Through Canopy Frame F-631A

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Any issues with drilling a 1/2" hole through this tip-up frame for one of these Oplites then run the wire (shielded 22/3) on canopy?

Thought it would come in handy as instrument flood light and area light with canopy tipped up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 2.22.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 2.22.06 PM.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 74
  • map6.png
    map6.png
    181 KB · Views: 62
Tim,
I would not put there.
Use the brace right behind the cross over bar.

Easier to wire etc.

Boomer

Instead of drilling a large 1/2 " hole, create a separate mount and drill1/2" hole in it and screw your light in the mount. Then screw the mount to the frame using #6 screws so that you won't compromise the aircraft structure. Ot you can install nut plates and screw in the mount

Tim,
I would not put there.
Use the brace right behind the cross over bar.

Easier to wire etc.

Boomer

The problem I'm foreseeing is with luggage. Pulling my heavy roller bag in/out I see it as a snag. If I mount to the canopy it doesn't become an issue.

Instead of drilling a large 1/2 " hole, create a separate mount and drill1/2" hole in it and screw your light in the mount. Then screw the mount to the frame using #6 screws so that you won't compromise the aircraft structure. Ot you can install nut plates and screw in the mount

Great idea

On the 14A I built, I installed a couple of round LED lights in the brace behind the bar, close to the front - lights up everything pretty well and doesn't block anything. Perhaps not as much light on panel but there I used red/white ribbon LED lights and they worked well

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4447%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Last edited:
I put two Oplite lights on a z-bracket screwed into the rollbar brace. Power runs back through the brace and then up front to one of the G3X Touch dimmer control circuits. As Tim pointed out, they do sometimes get snagged by baggage/coats/etc but for me it was a good compromise as I wanted panel lights coming from that area. Blockage from backup canopy latch hasn't been a problem.

More at this link - https://mightyrv.com/?p=3825

HTH

Dave

Attachments

• img_1360-e1539031557254.jpg
    img_1360-e1539031557254.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 53
  • img_1363.jpg
    img_1363.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 82
Any issues with drilling a 1/2" hole through this tip-up frame for one of these Oplites then run the wire (shielded 22/3) on canopy?

I did that and am happy with the outcome. I used just regular 22 aviation wires and ran them through D profile rubber seals where the canopy meets the fuselage, on both sides.

Some caveats: afterwards i noticed that the D profiles are too thin, but they are a bit difficult to replace now due to wires running inside them. Also I would like to install a thicker D profile seal between the aft side of canopy and the roll bar, but the protruding wires from the lights make this somewhat more difficult.

I would do this again, but would plan better for sealing beforehand.

For those who are interested in my solution...

I found they make a flange mount for the map light I can rivet directly to F-631. Less compromising structurally than the 1/2" hole, and provides greater rigidity when adjusting the lamp. I'll have pictures of the install soon...

13-06651a.jpg

Last edited:
I did that and am happy with the outcome. I used just regular 22 aviation wires and ran them through D profile rubber seals where the canopy meets the fuselage, on both sides.

Some caveats: afterwards i noticed that the D profiles are too thin, but they are a bit difficult to replace now due to wires running inside them. Also I would like to install a thicker D profile seal between the aft side of canopy and the roll bar, but the protruding wires from the lights make this somewhat more difficult.

I would do this again, but would plan better for sealing beforehand.
Followed your advice, but found this wire channel on Amazon where the top cover may be removed to access wire...

Attachments

• 61HqA+-+dsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61HqA+-+dsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
Back