What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dirty little buggers

rvaitor87

Well Known Member
Just a heads up.
I have spent the last several months finishing up the annual on my -3 completing several items on my to do list including the SB on the elevator attach points. (No cracks found:)). This along with getting ready for the new teaching year didn't leave a lot of time to work on the plane. These past few days off from school due to the hurricane left me with much needed time, and I finally got all of the projects done. :D Pulled her out on to the tarmac to run up the engine so I could change the oil, hit the starter and the prop turned but nothing. Couldn't even get a pop from it. Started troubleshooting, checked all of the likely suspects like mags, fuel flow to the carb, all good. Removed the drain plug on the carb, nothing came out. :eek: Removed the carb and what I saw defies all logic. I wish I would have taken a picture. A dirt dauber had made its nest in the port of my carb. :mad: Removed and cleaned the carb from inlet to outlet and then again. Will install tomorrow and test run. This is the first problem that I have had with these bugs but from what I have read, they are everywhere. From now on, if there is a hole, it gets plugged I don't care how many I have to remove to fly. I'm just thankful that he didn't make his nest in my fuel vent line, that would have ended badly.

Back