What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dented Pushrod Shroud

mackd

Hi all,

I was an idiot and managed to dent the aft pushrod shroud on the #4 cylinder on my IO-360-A1B6 while tightening the upper left engine mount bolt. I know there is some space between the pushrod and the shroud internally, but I'm still guessing I need to replace the shroud. What do ya'll think?

IMG_6235.jpg

Thanks!

David

Hi all,

I was an idiot and managed to dent the aft pushrod shroud on the #4 cylinder on my IO-360-A1B6 while tightening the upper left engine mount bolt. I know there is some space between the pushrod and the shroud internally, but I'm still guessing I need to replace the shroud. What do ya'll think?

View attachment 62246

Thanks!

David
The photo makes it look like a small dent that I would not worry about if it were on my airplane.

Hi all,

View attachment 62246

Thanks!

David
That is an easy thing to do. Just put an engine in my plane and seen how easy it is to screw up. Ya I was very careful.
BUT, if it doesn't leak I see no reason to replace it. Sure it has a dent but the push rod is a whole lot smaller and I'm sure it doesn't rub on the tube.
That said I'd be getting one for the future replacement time at your leisure. It is an easy install.
My luck varies FIXIT

Hi all,

View attachment 62246

Thanks!

David
I would find a dowel, pipe, drill bit or something that just fits inside the tube. Then tap that into the tube to push out the dent. It will remove most of the dent and all you will have left is maybe a little wrinkle. Put that on the under side when the tube is reinstalled. New tube not required.

Hi all,

View attachment 62246

Thanks!

David
I would leave it as is.
I have seen quite a few of these dents at that location with no ill effects.
If you have to fix it, you could remove the tube and use the appropriate diameter socket on an extension to work it out by pushing the socket through the tube to reshape it.
Lube the socket with some oil first and you may want to sneak up on it with a couple smaller diameter sockets first.
If you just can't stand to look at it, rotate the tube so it is hidden underneath!
Good luck.

Leave it as is - but remember it. I had a similar small dent on my #4 cylinder exhaust pushrod, and at about 1000 hours it developed a small crack - and the resulting small oil leak was MADDENING to find.

Davod: I'd replace the shroud tube, and check the pushrod.

I once noticed a tiny oil leak on my engine, and started poring over, under, and around every place I could.
I'd clean the case, cylinders, and cowl, then take it up for a lap around the pattern, and back to the hangar to uncowl and inspect again. Lather, rinse, repeat, and I might have flown another 2 hours, before I finally determined the leak was at a #2 cylinder pushrod shroud tube.
Thinking it was a seal, I ordered replacements, and found a small crease on the bottom (cylinder-side) when I pulled the shroud tube.

It seemed like there was no crack in the tube and no interference... but when I examined the pushrod, it was very slightly bent and discolored (black) at the site of the crease; a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.
Replaced pushrod, shroud tube, oil seals, and it was fine (and stayed clean!)

Good luck!

Davod: I'd replace the shroud tube, and check the pushrod.

I once noticed a tiny oil leak on my engine, and started poring over, under, and around every place I could.
I'd clean the case, cylinders, and cowl, then take it up for a lap around the pattern, and back to the hangar to uncowl and inspect again. Lather, rinse, repeat, and I might have flown another 2 hours, before I finally determined the leak was at a #2 cylinder pushrod shroud tube.
Thinking it was a seal, I ordered replacements, and found a small crease on the bottom (cylinder-side) when I pulled the shroud tube.

It seemed like there was no crack in the tube and no interference... but when I examined the pushrod, it was very slightly bent and discolored (black) at the site of the crease; a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.
Replaced pushrod, shroud tube, oil seals, and it was fine (and stayed clean!)

Good luck!
Realistically How much time and money is it going to be to just replace the little sucker. They are easy to pull out and easier to reinstall.
My thoughts are now if it bugs you, Just get a new one and pop it in place. Shouldn't take more than a half hour start to finish. I do agree that small oil leaks are a %^@^ to find and cure.
Then you're done and flying.
But as I said above I'd just go flying.
My luck varies FIXIT

Back