What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copper bus hardware

Use SS #6-32 / 1/4" philips drive, pan head screws, with split lock washers -- the breakers usually come with them.

Use SS screws, washers, nylock nuts appropriate to the size of the hole. (#6 or #8)

I also used a bit of heatshrink and punched "windows" in it for the screw holes/CB tang contacts - provides for a limited amount of protection from accidental shorts/cross connections.

I also used a bit of heatshrink and punched "windows" in it for the screw holes/CB tang contacts - provides for a limited amount of protection from accidental shorts/cross connections.
Do you have any pictures?

Do you have any pictures?
I think he means slide heat shrink over the entire copper bar and remove small windows of heat shrink for the contact points, thereby only exposing copper where needed for the contact points. Please confirm if that’s the gist of it…!

I think he means slide heat shrink over the entire copper bar and remove small windows of heat shrink for the contact points, thereby only exposing copper where needed for the contact points. Please confirm if that’s the gist of it…!
I agree that is what I understand the statement to be.

I also would use the hardware that comes with the CBs and SS on the other connections. It is my opinion that since the copper is touching the copper, any hardware would work without compromising the current or voltage. Not sure what hardware is best on copper for preventing corrosion but looking it up, I found out that my SS choice is the WRONG choice. Looks like standard steel AN hardware would be the best from the table that I found.

Galvanic-Corrosion_2.png

Not sure about the intended inference from that chart, considering that lead, tin, silvers, antimony are used in solder to connect copper to copper. Got any more background on that Gary?

Last edited:
Cadmium (CdS) is hydrophobic so that will help keep water-borne electrolytes away from the joint. OTOH, bare copper is hydrophillic, as are all metals, so -- can't win really. Another thing to consider, slather up the bare metal joints with vaseline or similar petroleum jelly to form a gas/moisture tight barrier.

And worry about something more important -- like what primer to use ;)

Thanks for the replies. I‘ll use cad cause that’s what I got. But now that you mention primer, I do have just a couple more…IMG_0212.jpeg
backing away from hole slowly…

Back