What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental Titan XIO 360 Fuel Pressure

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
The xio360 (9:1 compression 190hp) engine in my RV7A is showing primary fuel pump pressure inflight of from 28.5psi to 35 psi. On shutdown the fuel pressure remains at 28.0. These readings are taken from the EMS side of my Dynon D-180 and DSAB transmitted to my D-100 which I use as my primary EMS. POH shows maximum fuel pressure is 25psi and normal operating at 20psi. I've been operating the engine at these fuel pressure readings now for about 80 hours.

Questions:
1. where can I take a fuel pressure (direct reading gauge) with my engine running?
2. If the (over 25psi) reading is correct, is the high reading a concern? (damage or engine failure) ?

Thanks

I see 28psi on my Titan as well. The manual lists the green arc up to 35psi. Red is anything above 35psi.

I thought the Titan engine used a Continental type gear driven engine mechanical fuel pump, To the OP, do you have a diaphragm or gear driven fuel pump? And do you have a Bendix style fuel injection system? When you say the POH, who made your POH? Or was it copied from someone else? There’s no standard POH, and if yours was copied from a Lycoming engine, then it may not be accurate. What does the TMX manual show for fuel pressure ranges?

edit; I don’t know why I assumed your XIO 360 was a titan.. perhaps the second post and my brain merged them.. anyway, are you a Lycoming clone like a Titan or an actual Lycoming?

Last edited:
I thought the Titan engine used a Continental type gear driven engine mechanical fuel pump, To the OP, do you have a diaphragm or gear driven fuel pump? And do you have a Bendix style fuel injection system? When you say the POH, who made your POH? Or was it copied from someone else? There’s no standard POH, and if yours was copied from a Lycoming engine, then it may not be accurate. What does the TMX manual show for fuel pressure ranges?

edit; I don’t know why I assumed your XIO 360 was a titan.. perhaps the second post and my brain merged them.. anyway, are you a Lycoming clone like a Titan or an actual Lycoming?
Titan is just a trade name started by ECI and now owned by Continental. Very few engines sold by ECI back in the early 2000's had the Continental style injection system. It wasn't very popular, and they dropped it pretty quick.

From the OP: As per the title of this post, the engine is designated as an ECI Titan IOX-360 A4G9N serial #10-145PT 9.0:1 compression (manufactured by Continental in Fairhope AL) and built from an ECI kit by the builder in 2011 as per the ECI and Lycoming manuals. The builder also assembled the POH and I'm not sure what his source was. The FI system is Bendix. That's all I know about this engine. I'll give James Ball at Continental a call Monday am and quiz him on the fuel pressure specs. I've consulted with him in the past and he seems to be the expert on these 4 cylinder Continental/Titan (Lycoming clone) experimental engines. Thanks to all for the opinions..

In answer to question 1 for how to connect a direct reading pressure gauge to measure fuel pressure while the engine is running, this would involve disconnecting the pressure line to the sensor manifold on the firewall and connecting the line to a manual gauge that is positioned so that it can be viewed from inside the cockpit. If a Tee fitting is used then the manual gauge and the Dynon can be viewed simultaneously.

I would not however prefer to check the Dynon sensor this way because there is a lower risk method, which is to connect the sensor to a compressed air source at 20/25/30 psi and verify that the Dynon reading matches the air pressure gauge (assuming that the air pressure gauge is known to be accurate).

Thanks to all, and particularly Walt for the really helpful information. If 35psi is the upper limit for the Bendix system, then I'm right at it in cruise and maybe a little over at full power on takeoff. But first I will check the accuracy of the sensor. I did go though that exercise when I was seeing an anomoly with my oil pressure some time ago. I did use the air pressure technique the sensor. If it's accurate, then I assume that there's an adjustment on the fuel pump.

Thanks again to all for the responses

Back